Help Identifying My Mystery Chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cyanne, May 24, 2008.

1. cyanne

cyanne Songster

May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    On the way back from Texas ChickenStock, the hubby and I stopped by Callahans to peek at the new shipment of chicks (bad idea!) and they had in a mixed batch of "assorted" bantams.

We spotted two that were unique among all the rest and had to take them home, if only to figure out what the heck they were.

On is a clean-legged, almost solid black (just a splotch of cream on the very bottom of his tummy), *TINY* chick. When I say little, I mean he or she is probably less than half the size of our 1.5 wk old cochin bantams. The 3 or 4 day old standard chicks look like monsters next to this little guy! I looked through pages of pics online and the closest match I found was a Birchen Modern Game Bantam. Take a look at the pics and tell me if you guys agree (pics aren't great cuz in addition to being small he/she is shy and fast movin').

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The second chick has feathered feet, she looks about the same size as my cochin bantams were at a few days old, and she's a funny pale blue color. Oh, and she has a beard thingy that wraps around from ear to ear under her chin. Again, I searched FeatherSite and the one pic that looked most like her was a lavender d'Uccles. The other possibility was an Araucana, but her legs aren't blue/green. What do you think?

[​IMG]

2. cyanne

cyanne Songster

May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Anybody?

3. laughingllama75

laughingllama75 Songster

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    Hi,
    I have a few different types of OEG bantams, and the little black fella looks to be a Black OEG....I could be wrong, but the right leg color, body type and size. I am also thinking the little blue-ish one is either a blue or porcelain Belgian d'uccle. I only have the Mille Fleur variety, so I am not so sure on the other colors. The funny little "beard thing" is a definate givaway, as well as the fuzzy feet. She is definatly NOT an Araucana. I hope someone else replies this post too.. by the way, cute chicks! [​IMG]

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    That first black one looks exactly like my black star with it's puffy butt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: