SashaA

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2018
F3413316-5738-49F3-9228-38C37D288A08.jpeg

We found this chick wandering around outside right before Easter, so we think it’s about 5 weeks old. Does anyone have any ideas what breed it is and if it’s a rooster or a pullet? For reference it’s about 2.5 times as big as our Americaunas and 3 times as big as our red sex links that are about 2 weeks younger than it. TIA!

Cornish X, sadly, unless you butcher it, don't expect it to live that long, as they are strictly meat birds. The longest I have heard of a CX living is 1 year. Right now I am going to guess the gender is a pullet. Have a great day and God Bless!

Cornish X, sadly, unless you butcher it, don't expect it to live that long, as they are strictly meat birds. The longest I have heard of a CX living is 1 year. Right now I am going to guess the gender is a pullet. Have a great day and God Bless!
That’s what I was hoping she wasn’t unfortunately. Out of all of our chicks she’s by far the sweetest.

I have some CX pullets for a project that are 12 weeks old, and the heaviest one currently only weighs 3lbs 4oz. That comes from serious feed restriction (They get two meals a day, one in the morning, and one in the evening. 2oz Of feed in the morning, and 3oz of feed in the evening) with free ranging. Maybe doing something like that will help yours live longer because of the slowed growth rate.

(Note, I do not feed them the Cornish grower feed, just normal chicken food, I think that is part of their very small size).

Last edited:
I rescued two cornish crosses awhile back, they were the sweetest little chickens i ever had. You should give him/her a good life for the short amount of time they live for. It was a hard but rewarding experience, taught me a lot and im sure they appreciated everything i did for them. To lengthen its life, try feeding it much less than the others, so it doesnt grow too quick. Hope you decide to keep it xo

And for gender, its hard to tell cause the comb is always big on this breed. But it doesnt matter if youre worried about getting a rooster, one of mine layed eggs but the other didnt so i assumed he was a boy but he never crowed or tried mating, he was too fat.

I have some CX pullets for a project that are 12 weeks old, and the heaviest one currently only weighs 3lbs 4oz. That comes from serious feed restriction (They get two meals a day, one in the morning, and one in the evening. 2oz Of feed in the morning, and 3oz of feed in the evening) with free ranging. Maybe doing something like that will help yours live longer because of the slowed growth rate.

(Note, I do not feed them the Cornish grower feed, just normal chicken food, I think that is part of their very small size).

I’ve been free feeding it the same chick feed that I give the others, do you know how I would go about restricting just its food?

Thank you!!!!

Back
Top Bottom