1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help Identifying Please?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hardy21, Aug 17, 2013.

1. hardy21

hardy21 New Egg

Aug 14, 2013
    [​IMG]

We got these as a gift from a neighbor, who said he had no idea what they were. They're about three months old. Any help would be much appreciated!
    Will try to take better pictures soon!

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    they both look like silkie crosses

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Silkie crosses. And, I think that the orange and white one is a rooster due to the coloring and the redder comb and wattles. The other looks like a pullet.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I think that they're Silkie mixes due to the fifth toe (most chickens have four), the comb coloring, and the crest. For now, their tails/feathering look pullet-y, but the comb development on the reddish one makes me think that it could be a cockerel. The other is almost certainly a pullet, though.

5. hardy21

hardy21 New Egg

Aug 14, 2013
    Thank you all very much for your help!!!! We are almost certain that the reddish one is a rooster, and we thought that the white one was definitely a pullet, but she is the one that has been crowing lately!!! I hope that she is just going through a phase, as I've heard that pullets sometimes crow before they reach five months. Anyway, thanks again! I never would have thought they were silkie crosses!

6. mathew0013

mathew0013 New Egg

Aug 18, 2013
    I was told she was a hen but the chicken keeps crowing like a rooster. Help!

7. These look like silkie/bantam game chicken crosses.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Young hens do not crow. Older hens with hormonal issues may crow, but not a young bird. Sorry.

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    If at this young age, your "hen" is crowing, she is a rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by