1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Help identifying rooster breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by H.R. Cluck-N-Stuff, Jul 12, 2018.

1. H.R. Cluck-N-Stuff

H.R. Cluck-N-Stuff Chirping

Jul 4, 2018
    I've got a specific pet rooster that's as "chicken" as they come. He was surrendered to the farm as a feral for crowing too much in someone's backyard and immediately mauled by other roosters like none before. I took him away, healed him up, he's built an amazing amount of trust with me and is my baby lap rooster now, and helps to educate kids and adults alike when they visit the farm. I'd love to know more about him but every time I find a picture or a description that sound like him, I find any equal contradiction and another breed that matches. Can we help me come to a solid answer?

Attached Files:

drumstick diva likes this.
  2. H.R. Cluck-N-Stuff

Jul 4, 2018
    Here's one I just took now

Attached Files:

3. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Crowing

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    From the patchy coloration (especially on the chest), I would guess that he's a mixed breed.

@JedJackson might be able to tell you more, though.

4. ChickenFarmer61804

ChickenFarmer61804 Chirping

Jul 11, 2018
    If you don't mind me asking how did you get that picture up there? I'm new to BYC and don't know very much. Thanks!:):)

5. H.R. Cluck-N-Stuff

Jul 4, 2018
    Appreciate that bit of info, I was wondering how I could spot mixed chickens a bit note easily since there isn't any pure breeding on the farm, I get that often. My only pure breeds are the surrendered chickens. If patchy coloration is an indication of mixing though ill know note inn the future. Look forward to more input!

6. H.R. Cluck-N-Stuff

Jul 4, 2018
    I hit the upload a file and it was either in my documents or I took one with my camera. I'm familiar with forum set ups like these though, I know it's overwhelming at first. Good luck!

7. JedJackson

JedJackson Crowing

Jul 6, 2016
    I agree with sylviethecochin. He's a mixed breed for sure. He looks like he may be a mix of some type of game fowl and a larger breed like Rhode Island red.

As far as recognizing breeds, it just takes time. Google searches help tremendously in some cases, but not always. If you really want to know the breeds, get a copy of the Standard of Perfection, which lists all of the breeds recognized by the American Poultry Association and has color drawing of most. A less expensive option is Pocketful of Poultry by Carol Ekarius. All popular breeds are listed and there are color photographs of all of them.

Neither of those books cover popular hybrids like red & black sex links, amberlinks, and Easter eggers, though. But once you know what to look for they are a piece of cake, too.

8. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Crowing

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    He's a crossbred

drumstick diva and JedJackson like this.
  9. H.R. Cluck-N-Stuff

Jul 4, 2018
    I was really certain he had game fowl in him. Her just didn't have that look. Thanks for confirming my hours spent looking through breeds, Google is a great tool. This was my last resort, but I'm really looking forward to joining in with the community.

I did keep this particular Roo silky with show bird feed... he's spoiled. Currently sitting with me in front of the huge fan.

I'm going to go to the library later and wanted to get my hands in something physical to look through, I'll look for copies of those books. I'm more hands in myself. If not, I'll wait till pay day and order it. I have a couple of other breeds that I want to narrow down, I've always enjoyed identifying genetics in the animals, even the crossbreeds.

Attached Files:

JedJackson likes this.
  10. JedJackson

JedJackson Crowing

Jul 6, 2016
    Well it's great to have you on board. Always feel free to ask questions and join in conversations. Hopefully your library will have some good, relevant books for you to check out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: