1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help identifying rooster color

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by raclangel, Aug 11, 2011.

1. raclangel

raclangel New Egg

Aug 11, 2011
    Hi...I'm newly registered. Though I've stalked the board for a couple of months now. I need help identifying what color my new rooster is. He is about 5 months old and still has growing to do. I was told he is an Old English Game, he doesn't weigh more than a lb now so I'd like to believe that.

I am ok in genetics of horses but can honestly say I've never tried to with chickens. Would you consider him a BB Red? or Wheaten? In the top picture his feathers are shiney...there is only "white" or spots in front of his tail. At the moment he only has a Golden Comet (if I remember correctly) girlfriend and lets face it...she's a little big for him, so I was looking to find some bantams of the same color or at least try to be consistant with him.

Pete (as in Pistol Pete...silly bird)
    [IMG]https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/103270_img_20110809_195659.jpg

[​IMG]

Shug (the girlfriend)
    [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    he looks like a Welsummer, and i belive the coloring would be Wheaten.

and Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia,CA and [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  3. raclangel

raclangel New Egg

Aug 11, 2011
    Thank you.

Now just to make sure i'm thinking correctly. BB Red and Wheaten are just colors of the same breed...right? If you were to breed my wheaten with say a totally black Old English the chicks would still be Old English...we'd just have to figure out what color they were.

What are the differences of BB red and wheaten...i've tried to figure it out...but can't really see the difference when i'm looking at pictures.

Thanks again!

4. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:he is a black breasted red male, he does not appear wheaton without a hackle fade however without females from the same breeding pen I could not say for certian which he is.
    BB Red Hen,

[​IMG]

Blue Wheaton but wheaton color and pattern

[​IMG]

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Wheatons are less likely to have any shafting in the hackles/saddles than BB Red.

6. raclangel

raclangel New Egg

Aug 11, 2011
    I don't know about the welsummer part...he doesn't even weigh 1 lb now. I'm not sure he'll ever weigh more than 3 lbs.

7. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:That is all based on breeding, I have seen far too many color culls of both with stripping in the hackles.

8. raclangel

raclangel New Egg

Aug 11, 2011
    I thought I'd give some more upclose pictures of the roo in question. he is perched on my hand and we are in the coop so the lighting isn't great...but it gives you a better idea of coloration of his hackle and whatnot. In a lot of the pictures the light coloring is shine. You can tell because it's not in the same spot in every pic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by