1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help identifying the breeds of these?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by robjacmom, Aug 10, 2013.

1. robjacmom

robjacmom Out Of The Brooder

I'm new to chicken ownership and purchased these chickens recently from a breeder I know, but I don't really know what breeds they are They're almost 3 months old from what I know.
    So does anyone have any clue as to what they are?
    Here's some pictures.

Goldie(was yellow when we got her)
    [​IMG]

Dotty(had a dot on his head, which isn't there anymore. I'm absolutely sure that he's a rooster)
    [​IMG]
    Sleepy & Gigi (from left to right, young daughter named these as well as all the others)
    [​IMG]
    Chip
    [​IMG]
    And the last one, Chicken little, she's a little bantam.
    [​IMG]

If more pictures are needed I'll post them as soon as I can.

2. eggorchicken

eggorchicken Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2013
    Welcome to BYC!!
    If you look at my post here, https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/807867/anyone-know-what-breeds-these-are#post_11695782 the first chick looks like one of mine and his father was light sussex but don't know what his mother was he was yellow and he has a funny comb, also your second one was like one of mine too! And his father was also a light sussex but don't know what his mother was he was black.
    I dont know what any of the others are except the first 2 might be light sussex X's.

The last one looks a little like a favorolle??

IF ANY ONE KNOW THE BREEDS OR AGES OF MY ONES PLEASE LET ME KNOW! https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/807867/anyone-know-what-breeds-these-are#post_11695782

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  3. eggorchicken

eggorchicken Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2013
  4. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    Sleepy and Gigi look like Easter Eggers. The one on the left I am leaning towards a male because of how big the comb is at this age. The other may be male too but I would need to see body shots from the side to be certain.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It looks to me like you have some barnyard mix birds. Most all of them show mixed ancestry.

The first bird is Colombian-colored. Could come from a Delaware, a Rock or a Wyandotte. I can't see the comb, so can't help more. It's female.

The second bird is a rooster, he had one barred parent and one non-barred, straight combed parent.

The two grey/blue birds in the third pic are both males. They could have Easter egger ancestry, but they look mixed, at least the one on the right.

A profile shot of Chip would help, but I'm pretty sure she's female.

Chicken Little is probably male, from what I can see of the coloring on the side. Again, profile pic would help be sure.

The white dot you described on Dot's head is usually called a headspot, and any chick that has that white headspot will be that barred color he is--bars of black and white on each feather. It disappears as they feather in fully.

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013

7. robjacmom

I am so sad, from what your telling me I only have 2 pullets and all the rest are going to be roosters. We cannot have roosters in our city, and I only want eggs. I just cannot bear to eat our pets. Your not supposed to eat roosters anyway, are you? :rolleyes:Now I don't know what to do with all these roosters. HELP!

8. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Roosters are quite edible.

But, I see what you're saying about them being your pets. Lots of folks sell or give roosters away on Craigslist or similar. Just accept they will quite probably go to someone's dinner and remember there are worse things than a good life and one bad day. Or, always chance you'll find someone who just wants a nice flock rooster. Some of those guys are quite handsome and might find a forever home.

You can also check with the seller. If they told you you were getting females, give them the chance to make it right. Even if they didn't guarantee females, they might be willing to take the males back.

9. robjacmom

Well since it has been a short while I thought I'd post some more pictures of them now that they've gotten a bit older.
    Maybe this will help anyone figure out the breed or anything about these chickens, they're probably all mixed breeds but I really am curious to see if anyone can tell if they're mixes of any specific kinds of chickens.
    I'm just including that last picture of the obvious rooster because he's been getting pretty big lately and I'm sort of wondering at what age they stop growing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks.

10. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    So they're about 5 months old now?

I see all females except the last barred rooster.

first bird could be a Welsummer, but the color doesn't look quite right....maybe hatchery quality or a mix.
    Second bird looks like a Delaware.
    Third bird--something like a hatchery New Hampshire
    fourth--I so am not a bantam person. I'd say a mixed breed bantam, then some bantam person will come on with a breed that fits perfectly lol.

Roosters usually max out around 6 months. The might continue to fill out a little after that, but they've basically got their height at that age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by