Help identifying 'thing' in egg.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rosssfraser, Oct 19, 2013.

1. rosssfraser

rosssfraser New Egg

Oct 19, 2013
    Hi, I've kept chickens for years and have never seen anything like this before. It was in the egg white when cracked open.

I don't have a cockerel.

[​IMG]

Thanks

Ross

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Yuckkkkk!

.......... waiting for responses too ............

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    That looks like an egg bit gone bad... keep an eye on that hen!

-Kathy

4. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Wow that's pretty different. Not sure but I've read sometimes tissue can get expelled and the body of the chicken will treat it as a egg and it will go through the process just like a egg would and even get a shell formed over it.if I were to take a guess I would gatherĀ  that that is exactly what happened here. A piece of dislodged tissue went through the egg production process. That is why you found it in the egg

5. Country4ever

Country4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    I would agree that its body tissue that got expelled as part of the egg.
    I've had hens expel some pretty funky stuff.....but never inside an egg. Sometimes it makes me not want to eat eggs for awhile. haha

6. rosssfraser

rosssfraser New Egg

Oct 19, 2013
    Thanks for your thoughts. It seems like this is a very rare event as I can't find anything similar on-line. I'll keep a closer eye on the hens and stop giving the eggs away for a while.

Thanks again.

Ross

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by