1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help identifying this Ameraucana vocalization?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by peacechikn, Nov 20, 2016.

1. peacechikn

peacechikn Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2016
    San Juan Island, WA
    I'm brand new to having chickens, we've only had our 5 Ameraucanas (rescued) for about a month now. In the mornings, right after I let them out, Chickpea (the one in the video) does this vocalization really loudly. The other ones do it a little bit, but not as often and not nearly as loud. I'm hoping it's just a "give me my morning scratch, RIGHT NOW!" and nothing bad.

Any help identifying what this means would be greatly appreciated, thank you! :)

Note: the sound I'm asking about starts 15 seconds in, not the ones she's making at the very beginning.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    She's just 'happy talking' - nothing to worry about.

1 person likes this.
  3. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

X2, my girls make that sound all the time when they're content! [​IMG]

~Alex

1 person likes this.
  4. peacechikn

peacechikn Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2016
    San Juan Island, WA
    Wow, you guys reply FAST on here! Thanks so much, I was hoping it was a happy sound. Just didn't sound like one to me. Like I said, I'm a newbie. :)

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I agree that's just normal chicken sound. Kind of like "Morning, is everything the same? Anything different....nope, not so much. Okay, on with the day.....".

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by