Help identifying this chicken please

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by AliciaM, Jun 26, 2010.

1. AliciaM

AliciaM Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Yelm Washington
    Im trying to figure out what type this chicken is... We were told she is an americana(?)....Here are a couple pics of her.. Her tail looks totaly different than our other chickens... and she doesnt realy have any tufs on her cheeks.... What would her color be called? She is only about 4 months old or so....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Heres another one of our pullets... We call her Big Momma... she was the biggest one of all the babies we raised.... What color is she?? She is an americana(?)

[​IMG]

Thanks for the help.

The date is wrong on the photos... Batteries were dying and I didnt want to take the time to set it correctly...

Oh, im using the term americana only because that is what the feed stores said they were....I know there is a big thing on using that name when they are most likely not a "pure" breed....Not sure if I should call them that or easter eggers...

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  2. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    the first one looks like an Easter Egger Roo

3. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Hi there, I'm new to chickens but I believe the top one is a Easter egger and definitely a roo! Very pretty guy though [​IMG]

4. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    some EE do not have puffy cheeks..... and some do..... look at the saddle feathers on the back close to the tail. Cockeral EE is my guess

5. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    That lovely tail tells me you have a roo. (The comb too).

6. AliciaM

Apr 18, 2010
    Yelm Washington
    Wouldnt he be crowing by now if its a rooster?? There has been no crowing at all....But...then again.. we have been seeing him and our one jersey giant (who we got from the same place and is supposed to be a girl) squaring off and flaring up there neck feathers quite a bit...They are all about the same age.... 4 months of so....

7. AliciaM

Apr 18, 2010
    Yelm Washington
    Im gonna get pics tomorrow of the jersey giant and a giant cochin.... The cochin is HUGE......

8. crazy chook

crazy chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    That first photo is definitely a rooster, sorry.

9. AliciaM

Apr 18, 2010
    Yelm Washington
    Im ok with a rooster.. didnt realy want one... but as long as hes the only one, im ok with it... Hes realy friendly.. We named him Chicken... when we first brought him home, he hid under one of our older hens and wouldnt come out into the run for a few days..

10. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Looks like you have a pair of very pretty EEs [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by