1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help identifying this color pattern

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by Arcnova, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Arcnova

Arcnova Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2015
    Andre now.
    [​IMG]

Andre's feathers.
    [​IMG]

Andre at a couple of days old.
    [​IMG]

The feathers look almost like barred and laced combined but I don't have enough breeding experience to know really. Anybody know?

2. Makomd

Makomd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    ES of MD , USA
    The hackle feathers do look barred, the other feathers look like there may be Pg pattern gene in there but not complete.

3. Arcnova

Mar 22, 2015
    I wonder what would be a good test breed next year to check if he's for sure carrying Pg? recessive white would be a problem since it could hide anything and black won't work I don't think. What about an already laced bird like a Wyandotte? Any chance I'd get lucky with this pullet
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

She looks to me to be (incomplete?) multiple laced. Mostly because she looked like a blue laced gold Wyandotte chick at hatch. Now she just looks a mess, lol.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  4. Makomd

Jul 24, 2011
    ES of MD , USA
    If the first bird is mated to a laced bird and if she is carrying some pattern gene you should see some nice lacing in some of the birds but likely not all if her lacing is not complete. There are a few other genes that go into lacing as well and Ml (melanised) is the primary one. The second one is beautiful colors, but not sure if I see any lacing, may be too young to tell at this point. Do you know the parentage of the bird.

This is not mine, but someone else posted it and it is a great tool to understanding what you see in a laced bird.

[​IMG]

5. Arcnova

Mar 22, 2015
    Unfortunately both parent birds are half easter egger so they could carry anything. The rooster however I know 1) to be a blue pattern gold birchen, 2) to be leaky, 3) to have very nice mahogany lacing everywhere he leaks, his breast and belly mostly. The hen is messily blue barred but leaks very faint cream color here and there.
    My guess is that both are impure for either e^ or e^b as well as Pg but that I would need to add some Ml and possibly Db to get the color really nice. I think there may be some Co in there I need to eliminate as well.

6. Arcnova

Mar 22, 2015
    The first chick came from a white egg, so I'm guessing he's from one of last years pullets off of a leghorn crossed to a barred rock X easter egger roo.

They're both part of an egg layer project I'm in the second year of. I really didn't expect to get such interesting colors :D

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  7. Makomd

Jul 24, 2011
    ES of MD , USA
    Interesting genes to play with at the least. Homozygous for Co would be required for single lacing and no Co would be the ingredients for multiple lacing. I wonder if the barred blue hen with cream was a crested cream legbar mix

8. Arcnova

Mar 22, 2015
    Ah! Had the Co backwards lol. I'm pretty sure the little Roo in the first pictures carries Co, maybe even Co/Co, not sure.
    The hen leaking cream is from a barred rock roo and an unknown blue/blue pattern gold easter egger.
    Thanks for your help!

9. Arcnova

Mar 22, 2015
    Here's a hackle feather from the pretty little pullet.
    [​IMG]

Why are the colors reversed? Shouldn't it be gold feathers with blue lacing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by