Help identifyng our new duckling Nibbles

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CRAZYDUCKLADY72, Apr 22, 2016.

1. CRAZYDUCKLADY72

CRAZYDUCKLADY72 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2015
    Western Mass
    Hi everyone,

We hatched our first egg on April 20th. Nibbles made his grand entrance about 5:30 or so. We know the father is a Rouen, because we only have 1 male duck. As far as the mother goes, it could be Rouen, Pekin or Harlequin. I don't think it is the Rouen because Nibbles has much more yellow on him then the baby rouens did last year when we bought them at Tractor Supply. So I am leaning towards the Pekin or possibly the Harlequins.

Does anybody recognize this color combo? Especially the orange bill with a black stripe. The feet are also orange with black stripes. He loves it when I pat him and rub his belly. My ducklings last year hated it when we touched them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Stunning!

I have a mental block - those feet are indicative of a certain breed . . . . Magpie?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  3. CRAZYDUCKLADY72

May 1, 2015
    Western Mass
    We don't have any magpies. Unless that breed is mixed with what we have. We bought the 4 Rouens we have from Tractor Supply last April. 3 are female and 1 is male. We also bought one female pekin. Then a month later we bought 3 female Harlequins that were already about 1 year old from a local farmer. I think there is too much yellow on Nibbles to be from one of the female rouens.

Here is my drake. Senor Quackers

[​IMG]

My female Pekin Howie (This pic was taken June 2015 - so she is much bigger now)

[​IMG]

These are my 3 female Harlequins. Blue, Nip & Tuck

[​IMG]

And these are the female Rouen's

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  4. DuckGirl77

DuckGirl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2016
    The beak looks like a Welsh Harlequin's. I think his feathers would be lighter colored if he was part Pekin, but I could be wrong. He's really cute, whatever he is!

5. CRAZYDUCKLADY72

May 1, 2015
    Western Mass
    Then maybe they are part Welsh Harlequin then! I just never saw the drake "around" them very often! Poor little Nibbles seemed so lonely since he was the only egg that hatched so we went and got him a couple playmates! The lady said they were hatched on April 21st and they are either all Rouen or Rouen/Campbell. They aren't as yellow in the belly as Nibbles is.

[​IMG]

6. DuckGirl77

DuckGirl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2016
    Cute! Do the others have names, too?

7. CRAZYDUCKLADY72

May 1, 2015
    Western Mass
    The new ones are Rupert (named by my 16 year old son, LOL) and Cheepers (named by my husband) :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by