Help!! Identity crisis!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kitty135, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Kitty135

Kitty135 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    I recently got 5 assorted Japanese bantams. They are all yellow, but one has a tiny black spot on her head and two have an orangish tint around their necks. I was looking at different online pictures trying to find out what color varieties I have. I saw on one site that black tailed buff chicks were light brown, while another site showed them as yellow with a dot on their heads. One site claimed that mottled Japanese chicks were mostly black, while another site claimed that they were yellow with a black dot on their heads. Can I please get an expert's (or anyone's) input on what the Japanese bantam chick varieties really look like? Pics would be helpful. Also, why does everyone seem so confused about the Japanese bantam chick colors?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2011
  2. stellacat

stellacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    [​IMG] I don't think I can help you but the white chicks with the black dot on their heads may be splash [​IMG]

3. Kitty135

Apr 2, 2011
    There are splash Japanese bantams?! And if there are, the hatchery I got them from doesn't carry them.

4. Kitty135

Apr 2, 2011
    Also, is it safe to keep my 5 Japanese bantams with the 10 extra barred rock cockerels that were sent for warmth? Thank you for any help... it's my first year raising chickens. And another question... I got 14 chicks (1 barred rock, 1 red star, 1 light brahma, 1 silver laced Wyandotte, 5 buff orpingtons, and 5 rhode islands) 10 weeks ago, and I recently got 5 Japanese bantam chicks as an 8th grade graduation present. When would be a good time to mix them all together? I have one flock of 10 week olds and one small flock of five 4-day old Japanese bantams. Thank you for any help!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2011
  5. stellacat

stellacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    Sorry, [​IMG] I have no idea. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by