We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Help IDing Araucna/Americana?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Retroangles, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Retroangles

Retroangles In the Brooder

Jul 23, 2019
    Hello! Trying to figure out what these are exactly. So far info I have found is confusing. Thanks
    A77D7933-EBD2-4C2D-A600-06946A826ECC.jpeg

Attached Files:

igorsMistress likes this.
  2. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing?

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    They look like EE (Easter Eggers) which are a hatchery version of the Ameraucana breed. Sometimes hatcheries call them Americana. Your first two are pullets and the 3rd is a cockerel. Good looking birds.

3. Retroangles

Jul 23, 2019
    Thank You for the info! What gives it away as a cockeral? None have shown any signs so far.

4. Wishing4Wings

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    The big red comb, but I should have asked for the ages before I presumed the sex. That could be a pullet close to laying or a cockerel that hasn't got his saddle feathers yet. How old are they?

5. Retroangles

Jul 23, 2019
    Somewhere around 14weeks? I will post a better pic.

6. igorsMistress

igorsMistress Crossing the Road Barefoot

Apr 9, 2013
    My Coop
    You got pics! Pretty birds for sure. I would tend agree that last is a boy.

7. RoostersAreAwesome

RoostersAreAwesome Free Ranging

May 21, 2017
    Pretty easter egger pullets

8. Wishing4Wings

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    That's the hardest age to tell. You can look under the feathers along the back, near the tail and see if any pointy shiny male saddle feathers are sprouting.
    A standing side view of the possible cockerel would be best if you have one.

9. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Free Ranging

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    You have three easter eggers, which are sometimes bred from ameraucana, but are cross breeds designed to lay colored eggs. They aren't the same as ameraucnana. And I agree, two pullets and a cockerel. EE pullets don't have that big of a comb at this age.
    Some info on Ameraucna vs Araucana vs Easter Eggers:

https://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2013/12/ameraucana-vs-araucana-vs-easter-egger.html

AMERAUCANAS

Ameraucanas are a pure breed that has been recognized by the APA (American Poultry Association) since 1984. They were most likely originally bred from South American blue egg laying breeds but were developed and standardized in the United States. They come in eight distinct colors including, Blue, Black, White and Wheaten, which all share these distinct Ameraucana traits:

Peacomb

Muffs and beard

Red earlobes

Tail

Blue legs

White foot bottoms

Always lay blue eggs

ARAUCANAS

Araucanas are more rare than Amerauacanas and harder to find. They are also a pure breed and have been recognized by the APA since 1976. They originated in Chile most likely and come in five colors including black, white, duckwing silver and golden. Araucanas all share these distinct Araucana traits:

Peacomb

Ear tufts (this gene is lethal to developing chicks if inherited by both parents)

Red earlobes

Rumpless (no tail)

Green or willow-colored legs (Yellow on white birds)

Yellow foot bottoms

Always lay blue eggs

EASTER EGGERS

Easter Eggers are not a recognized breed. They are mongrels or mutts - mixed breed chickens that do possess the blue egg gene, but don't fully meet the breed specifications of either Araucanas or Ameraucanas. They can come in any color or combination of colors and share these traits:

Any kind of comb

Muffs/beard/ear tufts or none

Any color earlobes

Tail or tail-less

Any color legs

Any color foot bottoms

Can lay blue but also sometimes lay green, tan, pink or even yellow

So if you want to be guaranteed blue egg layers, you will want to raise some Araucanas or Ameraucanas; otherwise Easter Eggers are always fun because you never know what color egg each will lay until she starts laying, and even identical-looking hens often lay varying shades of bluish or greenish eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: