Help--ill banty Orpinton new flock

onafixedincome

Songster
10 Years
Oct 10, 2009
I just got these from a friend who felt they'd do better here than at her (very competitive) flock....and they're ill (which I knew going in).

Here's the requested 'list of info'--sure hope someone can help, these chooks are GORGEOUS and sweeter than sweet. Obviously they were very loved and socialized by their original owner, who showed them and did very well.

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
Banty Orpingtons, mixed adults, thin and more poorly muscled overall than I'd like to see. Haven't weighed them, no scale. Group of seven at this time with a few more coming. They too show the illness.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Sneezing, clear nasal discharge that crusts over with dirt, difficulty breathing on exhalation more than inhalation, some gurgling. Not depressed. Two of the hens are anemic but are pinking up nicely. Two (not same two) were 'gaping' as they ate, like they had a dry throat, but kept pigging out.
3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No.
4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the
situation.
These were given to me--originated in a show flock, given to someone who had a LOT of chickens and they just aren't suited to the competitive living. So a major life stress within the last two months, twice.
5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Everything.
smile.png
A little short on groceries due to competition where they were, but now are eating anything that doesn't move fast enough, redworms from my wormbeds, finch food, various high-energy nut chunks (a hulless wild bird mix), and drinking well. Water has poultry Nutri-Drench added.
6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Absolutely normal.
7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Oxytetracycline injection, 200mg/ml, .2ml subcutaneously 1x/day. Close observation. NutriDrench and highest quality food. They do have mites and will be Ivomec'd tomorrow.
8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment?
We don't have chicken vets and it's prohibitive, so yes, this is a 'do it yourself' project.

10) Describe the housing/bedding in use
At the moment, it's a 'free range' situation with a covered house available in which they roost. Bedding is hay/straw, changed every three days.

I would try using injectable tylan 50. I use tylan 50 for my chickens and it works wonders. For adult chickens give them 1/2 cc down their throat. Young chickens (half grown) give 1/4 cc. For biddies you can give them 1/10 cc. Give these dosages for three days to five days. You can inject it in their muscle but if they are undernourished, it may be easier down the throat. Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom