Help! Ill hen. Won't stand up, lying on her side.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Rikkipedia, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Rikkipedia

Rikkipedia Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2012
    Portland, OR
    I have an ill maran hen. She's a year and half old, and has had no previous illnesses. She's actually been one of my hardier birds.

I let all the chickens out this morning, I noticed that she didn't come out, but didn't think anything of it. I just went out to check on them, and I found her lying on her side on the bottom of the coop. Her eyes are closed and her comb is a deep red with a purple tinge to it. I've quarantined her and don't think she'll last the rest of the day.

We had a mite problem that I just recently got rid of using DE and a natural poultry protector spray. None of the other chickens are looking bad, but it's also hard to tell since a few of them are molting right now too.

Thanks for any ideas/suggestions anyone has.

2. Rikkipedia

Rikkipedia Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2012
    Portland, OR
    She just passed away.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She sounds as though she might not make it. Would she drink some electrolyte water if you dipped her beak into it? Sugar, a pinch of salt in water would do until you could make some, or get some Pedialyte or Gatorade. She may have a heart problem or an abnormality in another organ that has just shown up. There are a lot of scary diseases that can be carried by wild birds, so just keep a close eye on the rest of your flock. Check her over for a large crop, any swelling of the face or eyes, nasal drainage, any signs of being eggbound, or any diarrhea or bloody stool.

So sorry for your loss--I was typing at the same time as your post.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by