Help! Im going to try combining my 2 flocks in the Spring...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by GirlieChick, Jan 19, 2011.

1. GirlieChick

GirlieChick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    So I have 2 flocks of 9 chickens each. One flock has 6 bantam chickens, a silkie rooster, and 2 Red hens. The other has normal sized chickens, 7 hens, one full sized rooster and a bantam rooster. In the second flock the bantam rooster and the other rooster get along just fine but I was thinking about putting the bantam rooster in a bird cage in the house.. Would that be a bad idea? I also have a Red rooster that sleeps with one flock but hangs out with the other during the day. The first flock I described lives in the coop out in the yard, the second lives in a pen under the porch. I dont have a run for them so Im going to make one when springs rolls around. Because I dont have a run built for them, they are constantly roaming around everywhere. They go to my neighbors house and a tractor buisness close to my house. This is why I would like to combine them. So I can have one flock in one coop with one run to the garden. My sisters wedding reception is going to be in the backyard also and shes kind of afraid of my chickens so she wants them penned up during her wedding which is why I want to make a run to the garden. I know some of the rooster are going to have to go which is why I have my dad... Lol But I think Im going to need a little help trying combine the 2 flocks even without the roosters. Can someone please explain to me how to do this without loosing any of my hens? Thanks in advance! :]

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Merging two groups on neutral turf my preference. Large fowl will dominate but if bantams have escape options fighting will be minimal between hens. Roosters likely to rumble more with silkie being logical individual to confine if rooster fights get out of hand. After merger, get all into coop / run.

3. onecent

onecent Chillin' With My Peeps

You might not have too much of a problem, because your chickens "know" each other, I have read where people have good success waiting & introducing at night in the dark, also, your roos might get along, i had several roos together silkies & standard, but no matter what, they are gonna go through their pecking order thing, and you might have a fight here & there with that process, you will have to keep watch to make sure they dont get to bad, but give them some time, you will know when to intervene if need be, someone on here might have some better advice, im just letting you know from my personal experience with merging chickens. good luck!

4. GirlieChick

GirlieChick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    Thanks. Im still worried about keeping my SnowWhite in my room though. I have cats too and they are always in my room at night. Im planning on getting a hanging cage for him but will he still crow alot in the morning? And also, would it help to put a blanket over the cage when its time for him to sleep?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by