Help, Im new and i have some questions.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AnderAveFarm, Jul 31, 2007.

1. AnderAveFarm

AnderAveFarm New Egg

Jul 31, 2007
    Hello everyone.
    I have never had a chicken before, so please bare with me, [​IMG]
    1.) Is it alright to get only one chicken? I really want one because i dont want to accidently give one chicken more love then another and have the other left out....But i am worried that the chicken will be lonely, i have lots of time to spend with it, but i dont know if it would be the same as have another chicken to talk to....
    2.) I have a cat could this pose a problem? She is an indoor cat.
    and 3.) What is a good breed for first timers?

Thanks so much for any help on the subject. [​IMG]

2. Wolfpacker

Wolfpacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
    Welcome. [​IMG] You'll get answers to all your questions from folks a lot more knowledgeable than I am, but don't just sit back and wait. Jump right in and start reading these threads. You'll learn a LOT.

And one chicken will be VERY lonely. They like to have company.

3. AnderAveFarm

AnderAveFarm New Egg

Jul 31, 2007
    Ok thanks very much, is two enough or would that be lonely too??

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Two or three would be better. One is very lonely. You will have to keep your birds locked away securely from your cat. Your cat will hunt them and kill them if given the slightest chance. I personally like buff orpingtons however there are many nice breeds to choose from. Are looking for a good egg layer or just a pretty bird?

5. mom23chicklets

mom23chicklets Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2007
    CT
    Welcome Ander!! I echo what Wolfpacker said. Read everything on this forum and you will learn alot! I read for months before deciding I was ready to take on the responsibility.

I think one chicken will be very lonely. Definately 2 or 3. You will find the time and energy to shower them with love and attention, not to worry.

I would have to vote for Buff Orpingtons as well. They always come when I call, are very gentle, and want to be lap chickens. I've also heard wonderful things about Salmon Faverolles but don't have any myself. My Black Australorp is also very friendy. Good luck to you and let us know what you end up getting.

6. mom23chicklets

mom23chicklets Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2007
    CT
    I forgot to tell you that I also have an indoor cat. She was scared of the chicks when we first got them. Just today, the cat got out by accident and all 27 of my chickens were free ranging close to her. She didn't bother with them at all.

My dog ( a cockapoo) is actually protective of my chickens especially the Buff Orpington who spent several days in a crate in our house. We are dog sitting a Golden Retriever who is really curious about the Buff, and my dog actually gets in between them and barks and growls at the Golden to stay away from the chicken! It's the sweetest thing!

7. AnderAveFarm

AnderAveFarm New Egg

Jul 31, 2007
    OK. Thanks sooooo much to all of you. i will definatly get at least two chickens, keep my cat away (just in case), and i will look into the breeds you suggested. thank you all for such a warm welcome!

8. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Hi Anderavefarm...and welcome!! [​IMG]

The breed of chicken you get is really going to depend on what you want the chicken for? Do you just want a small pet?? Or are you looking for eggs?? Brown eggs? White eggs? I have several different breeds... ( mostly large breeds) Rhode Island Reds...White Langshans, Black Langshans, Buff Orpingtons, Cuckoo Marans,Silver Pheonix, Frizzle Banty Cochins, Dominique, and Salmom Faverole. Out of all of them, my white Langshan hen is the friendliest. She is a lap chicken. However, any chicken you get....if given enough attention, and care, and love, will fast become YOUR favorite lap chicken. Before you dive into getting them, if you live in town, please make sure you are allowed to have them. So many people get chicks, get attached, and find out later they can not have them. So sad. I suggest you go to a hatchery web site....look at different breeds, and characteristics....pic the chicken that suite YOU. ie: color, size, egg color.
    Again, welcome...and believe me....its an addiction!!

9. AnderAveFarm

AnderAveFarm New Egg

Jul 31, 2007
    THanks!
    The size is no matter to me, I do want a lap chicken, i would not be eating the eggs but the rest of my family would. i would really like....a Maybe brownish colored chicken i dont really know though, and i am not really picky. Do chickens need alot of room to wander? our house and yard are on only about a half acre of land...we do have a backyard, but it is only medium sized...will that be enough rooom to roam? but thanks for your help everyone!

10. Wolfpacker

Wolfpacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
    Whatever you do, no matter where you live, you MUST take steps to provide a SECURE area for your chickens. Chicks are vulnerable to all types of predators and adult birds are nearly as vulnerable at night when they can't see. Resign yourself that you might lose a bird or two or three before you hit upon a full-proof, predator-proof place to keep them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by