HELP, I'm new! Have 2 adult white turkeys coming soon.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by featherbaby, Jun 19, 2009.

1. featherbaby

featherbaby Songster

Jun 18, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL 32210
    I am about to be given a pair of adult white turkeys. I don't know their age. I have to get some info on their requirements ASAP. I have to build a coop, I don't know what to protect them from. I want them to free range my fenced yard. They will be pets, not dinner. What size coop? Fully enclosed at night or one side screened? Will they eat flowers (I have lots of raised bed gardens)? Will they step off my dock into the river (I have no fence and the water is about 2 ft. lower than the dock)? Will eating Azaleas poison them? I lost a goat that way. Will Ospreys or hawks leave them alone? Do I supplement their diet with veggie kitchen scraps and boiled eggs?

2. pdpatch

pdpatch Songster

Apr 5, 2008
    Hastings, Nebraska
    Since they are Adults, they need to be homed, That is they need to confined a sufficiant time so the know where there home is. A sufficiant time can be from a few weeks to months.

Are they males or females, 1 male and 1 female is hard on the female.
    You may have to consider getting more. the minimum is 1 male to two females.

If they are two males and have been raised together that might not be to much of a problem.

I want them to free range my fenced yard:
    As far as free ranging it will take some time to get then use to where new home is. If you don't keep them penned for at least a couple of months they will wonder off.

white turkeys:
    You need to find out the bread, If they are Great Whites, then you maybe able to keep them for about 4 years max, if you are lucky.

What size coop?:
    4 x 8 or 4 x 10 Plenty of room for two as pets.
    If you Don't know what preditors are in your area, then you need to put them in the coop at night.

It can be fixed, or mounted on a trailer.

When every turkeys are moved from one location to another, You need to home them. You need a good covered outside pen for this. They can live in the coop for a bit while you make the outside covered pen.

---
    Will they eat flowers? yes
    Will eating Azaleas poison them? possibly
    Will Ospreys or hawks leave them alone? depends on the size of thr turkeys, and how hungry the Ospreys or hawks are.
    Do I supplement their diet with veggie kitchen scraps and boiled eggs?
    Yes if you want. Be careful of any uncooked beans and potatoes

Note: fowl are omniverous

Tom

PS: You must home your turkeys so they don't wonder off!!!!!!

3. featherbaby

featherbaby Songster

Jun 18, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL 32210
    Dear PDPatch,
    Thank you so much for answering my questions. I don't know the breed yet, only that they're white and big! How will I know if they are BB or Great White? The people I'm getting them from rescued them from a bad situation and may not know what breed they are. They are a male and female. If I get another female now, won't they both pick on her because she's new?

My biggest concern is whether they will fall off the dock into the river. I don't have a fence or barrier there and I am not sure they will know not to walk off the edge. I have quite a few feet of dock and don't think I can afford to fence it at this time. I'm already spending a lot on a coop and pen for them. I will keep them penned in as you mentioned unless I am out there with them. Do you think they'll know this is home in 6-8 months? I do have a chain link fence around the back yard unless they can fly over it.

I really appreciate your advice!

Sandi

4. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Turkeys are pretty..... umm whats the word.... stupid.... CURIOUS, we'll go with that! I wouldn't trust they'd stay away from the water. In 6 months they SHOULD know their home. How tall is your fence. USUALLY full grown turkeys have given up flight. That is unless they are spooked and such.

5. pdpatch

pdpatch Songster

Apr 5, 2008
    Hastings, Nebraska
    "only that they're white and big"

Chance are they are Great whites. Great whites and BB Bronze are double breasted, that is there breast are twice as large as most other turkeys. If the male weights more then 35 pound when mature, then chances are it's a great white. If they have been feed close to the right schedule they should be close to that now or over it.

If they are great whites most likely you won't need another female, as because of there size you don't want them to try and mate naturally. The Tom could seriously injure the Hen.

The great white has been bred to grow muscle tissue fast and big, there life expectancy is short. Generally bones, and internal organs don't keep up, or are to small for them. This is the main reason for the short life expectancy and why they are not good as a pet.

As for the Dock, you should put a fence up, especially if they turn out to be great whites, as they would have trouble getting out of the water.
    A heritage type that has been domesticated may be able to get out. a domesticated wild turkey bred should be able to get out. But there are no White wild sub species if Turkeys.

A great white maybe able to great a foot off the ground, if they are in really good shape maybe 2 to 4 feet.

Tom

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: