Help I'm new

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Sommerbrinkley, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Sommerbrinkley

Sommerbrinkley New Egg

Dec 19, 2016
    Okay I need help. This is the only Wynadotte that hatched from my mail order eggs. I'm guessing Gold Laced??? And (S)he is only 4 weeks old any way to tell hen or roo? What signs should I look for to start seeing if hen or roo? Thanks you :D:D:D[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    This thread talks about what you should look for when sexing chicks. A lot of it is clues, often conflicting clues, though some chicks are easy. Some are still confusing at three months.

How to sex chicks
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=48329

I haven’t raised Gold Laced, but that would be my guess.

If you read that thread you’ll see where it mentions most of these clues start to kick in at 5 weeks and yours is only 4. I’m still going to guess male. Wyandottes have rose combs so that makes it a bit harder to go by comb in chicks, but watch for wattle development in the next week or two. If the wattles grow and comb and wattles turn red it’s a sign of a male. But that’s not why I’m guessing male.

I’m going by the legs. Males typically have longer and especially thicker legs. Pullets tend to have thinner more delicate legs. Some pullets can have heavier legs than others, so it’s a clue, not absolute fact, but those look male to me.

The posture and general body shape looks male also. This one is harder to explain and comes mostly from experience, but that just makes me think male when I see it. Don’t do anything dramatic for a bit, I’ve been wrong before at 4 weeks, but start thinking about what you are going to do if it really is a male. Probably not what you wanted to hear.

2 people like this.
  3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Wyandottes mature slowly and it can be fairly hard to sex till they are much older. Even at 12 weeks or so it can be tricky. If its a gold laced, a male will develop solid gold wing bars as the feathers come in later.

1 person likes this.
  4. chickensrock12

chickensrock12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2015
    Utah
    You will begin to tell when they are older. If it is a Roo, he will get bigger wattles and combs then the other chicks, he will grow bigger, and he will begin to make crowing sounds. That's basicly all you need to look for, here is a pic of my Rooster- beanie.

[​IMG]
    He was born with a large comb. It looks like a beanie, so Beanie is his name.

1 person likes this.
  5. Gray Farms

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    A Wyandotte won't get a big comb like your red did.

6. chickensrock12

chickensrock12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2015
    Utah
    I know, I'm just showing what it would be close to look like.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with Gray Farms post re: wyandottes

8. Sommerbrinkley

Sommerbrinkley New Egg

Dec 19, 2016
    [​IMG]

Any guesses now? Roo or Hen?

9. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Hard to really tell yet......By the size of its feet and thick legs, I guess a Cockerel.....

Cheers!

10. Gray Farms

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    I agree, and at roughly 5 weeks its a lot of big red comb.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by