HElP iM NeW!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ~Kuromametchi~, Apr 14, 2009.

1. ~Kuromametchi~

~Kuromametchi~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Reno, NV
    ok so i have 2 geese 1 male and one female they lay 2 eggs a day. i feel that i should be able to take care of another goose but i dont have an incubator and i dont know how to tell if it is fertile or not. can someone please help me?

2. gpamela3499

gpamela3499 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
    Hi sorry I can't help but I would like to welcome you and say hold on for someone with good info

3. ~Kuromametchi~

Apr 14, 2009
    Reno, NV
    thnx i really hope that someone can help

4. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    I'm guessing that goose eggs are the same as chicken eggs in that if you crack one open and see a tiny white dot with a tiny white ring around it then it's fertile. As for incubating, all I can advise is to buy one or make one.

5. ~Kuromametchi~

Apr 14, 2009
    Reno, NV
    i know about that but is there a way to tell if an egg is fertile without actually breakin the shell cuz i dont want to wait 30 days to see if its goin to hatch.

how do u make an incubator?[​IMG]

6. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    two eggs a day from one girl?! are you sure the other is a boy? i don't know much about geese, so i guess its possible. to tell if its fertile (both for ducks and chickens and probably geese) crack it open and look at the yolk. you might have to flip it over. if it has a bulleye that is white, CONGRATS you got yourself a fertile egg. here's a pic of one.

[​IMG]

and welcome to BYC! you'll love it here!!

ETA-as for seeing if its fertile without cracking it open, normally if you have one fertile egg, the rest will be fertile. so you really only have to check one. also, there is a homemade bator section on the homepage of amazing byc!!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  7. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  8. ~Kuromametchi~

Apr 14, 2009
    Reno, NV
    i already do thanx and i can tell that one is a boy because it always defends the one that lays the eggs and it has a bigger chest and walks sorta taller lol. anyway she lays one early in the morning and one in the evening

9. ~Kuromametchi~

Apr 14, 2009
    Reno, NV
    ok so i candled it i know since its the first day it wont show anything until the 4th day but what i do see is a medium sized speck on the yolk so ill just check for veins in 3 days

10. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Excellent! Hope it works out for you! Keep us posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by