HELP!!! I'm new!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by krcote, May 21, 2008.

1. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    I had chicks on order when a friend of mine let me know just how many hens she had and how willing she was to share a few with me! I've stopped the order- but I've done all of my research on babies! How do I transition hens that may be set in their ways to their new coop? They will be here Wednesday! Thanks!

2. chcknrs

chcknrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    [​IMG]

Just keep them in the coop for a couple of days, make sure they have plenty of food and fresh water, and try some treats, like plain organic yogurt, mealworms, dandlion greens, etc.

Also make sure they have grit and if they are layers already, some oyster shell. Talk to them whenever you check on them, and when you give them treats, call them in the same way every time.

They will learn your voice and mannerisms, and they will do fine!

3. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    All good advice - I have nothing to add other than welcome!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. krcote

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    thank you!

5. FLchook

FLchook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    After they adjust, are you going to let them free range? Or is a run all set up for them? It only takes a few day for them to settle into thier new home. Nothing more I can add [​IMG] Enjoy your new girls!!

6. krcote

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    I have a run but they will be mostly free range- depends on how the dogs react! I've read everyone's horror stories so I'm prepared!

7. Tutter

Tutter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    N. California
    Welcome, Krcote! [​IMG]

That's great news! I hope you'll share some photos with us, once everyone gets settled. [​IMG]

8. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    [​IMG] fellow Mainer.

Good luck with them and before you know it you will place the chick order again for even more of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by