Happy Chooks

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
14 Years
Jul 9, 2009
Northern CA
My Coop
My Coop
I added water for lockdown and added too much! It shot to 80% before the temp even got back up. I just took the eggs out and dumped half the water and put the eggs back in. It's now reading 67% which concerns me it's still too high.

Should I dump some more out, or wait and see when the heat comes back up?

Last edited by a moderator:
my first hatch i couldn't get the humidity under 80 percent for lockdown so you should be ok, they really only drown when you run your first 1/2 of the hatch too high and water collects in the air cell...or at least that is what i was told

Last edited by a moderator:
It's now at 87% and the glass is starting to fog.

Darnit, I should have remembered LESS is MORE. But the stupid instructions said to fill both resevoirs. So I did. (kicking myself)

I bet you can remove more water and at this point without it being too big of a problem. You are just setting them to hatch today right? It's not like they are pipping right now. Of course, I have never done this before so I could be completely wrong, but if it were me and I wasn't sure what to do, I would rather take the chance of opening it to remove water than leaving and the babies drowning before they can hatch.

Hope you get it figured out and have a good hatch!
fl.gif

Last edited:
When hatching my humidity shot way up. I propped open the incubator for a while and that seemed to even things out. I'm not expert, so I was just doing what my gut was telling me too, but it worked for me...

Back
Top Bottom