1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! I'm worried...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CCourson05, Apr 18, 2011.

1. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    The little 1 week old chick sleeps on it's side for some reason and get up after sleeping. It eats, walk, and drinks fine once it's up. It will kick around in circles in attempts to get up, but cant... What's wrong? Should I be worried about it not being able to eat and drink?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  2. CCourson05

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Well... I am beginning to wonder... [​IMG]

3. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    In your first post you say it eats and drinks normally. If it's doing everything else normally, the kicking-in-circles might be it trying to dust-bathe. Try giving it a small pan of clean dirt to dig around in and see what happens . . . On the other hand if it reaches a point where it can't stand, or eat or drink, then yes you have something going wrong. But I'm going to bet it's just playing.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  4. CCourson05

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Maybe, but today, she was up on her own. I guess I'll just keep a watch on her. But if anyone has any experience similar, let me know...

5. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    they do lay on their sides, they will do it out in the sun too. When I got my first chicks I remember wondering what was going on, I thought they were going to die, no just relaxing chick style. hope that is all thats going on here. good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by