Help! Impacted crop resolved now she won't eat....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MButerbaugh, Jan 24, 2013.

1. MButerbaugh

MButerbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2012
    I have a hen that is almost a year old, her crop was impacted a few days ago, we noticed that she wasn't eating, would stand around with the other girls, but wasn't acting normal. When we discovered the impacted crop I treated by giving her olive oil via syringe and massaging her crop, after 2 days of this her crop is fine, but she is soooo skinny and won't eat! her eyes look fine, shows no signs of respiratory problems, drinks water but will not eat more than a bite or two of bread or noodles. I've tried oatmeal, scrambled egg and her regular feed and scratch. She's currently in the house in a cage so we can monitor her more closely. last night she had one poop that was small and very dark, almost like rabbit pellets. Today when she pooped it was clear and watery (of course she hasn't eaten much either) she spends most of here time standing, sometimes her eyes are closed, she does lay down at times also. Her tail is down, not held up in its normal position. any thoughts or suggestions? I'm thinking about calling the vet... don't know if they treat chickens or not... Thanks!

2. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    This is a 3 week old post so it may have resolved itself but I came across it and had to ask how she is?

Yogurt and scrambled eggs would be advised for coming back from impacted crop but it sounds like she has other problems such as an infection of sorts. Hope that she's recovered.

3. MButerbaugh

MButerbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2012
    She's actually doing well now, thanks for asking! She took awhile to start eating again, but once she did there was no stopping her! She's back with her sisters and seems to be doing fine.

4. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Good news!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by