HELP IMPACTED CROP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sdchickgirl, Nov 22, 2016.

1. sdchickgirl

sdchickgirl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2014
    I have a Cochin who is a little over a year now who recently got what I think is an impacted crop. The past three mornings when I let her out her crop was full and firm. Yesterday and the day before I let her do her own thing because she was acting her normal self. Last night I had her drink water with olive oil and I massaged her crop trying to clear the impaction. She's pooping normalcand acting completely fine but her crop is firm and not clearing. What do I do?

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Keep giving her water with olive oil.Does she have grit available?

3. sdchickgirl

Oct 28, 2014
    Yes she has grit, I gave her some yesterday. Should I continue with the water and olive oil and give her grit and wait for it to pass? Or should I continue massaging her crop? I've read other threads where they said to make them throw up but I don't know if I want to do that if it's not completely necessary.

4. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Your choice it seems making them throw up is harder but faster.continue olive oil and grit is the most important.Her crop is hard right?

5. sdchickgirl

Oct 28, 2014
    Yes it is

6. sdchickgirl

Oct 28, 2014
    We're on the fourth day of the impacted crop and beginning to think that it's more of a slowed crop since she is still pooping and acting fine. She's drinking water normally and if she has the chance to eat she does, but I've been withholding food for three days now. Although yesterday she was let out and go to her feed and ate some. I want this clear so that she can eat again but I don't know what to do. She won't throw up, her crop is a little bigger than a tennis ball and firm but not hard. It seems to be a little lower than where it should be but it's not pendulous, I think it's fine. What can I do? It's not clearing and surgery isn't an option.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  7. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    I had a bantam cochin a few months ago with a crop the size of a soft ball. It was so heavy it was tipping her over and her breast was just skin and bone. It took me two weeks of massaging 4x a day and several small sloppy feeds a day with a little olive oil to clear her. I tried to vomit her a few times but could not get any out. I really thought I would lose her at one stage as there was hardly anything coming out the other end and her comb was dry and wizened. I was on nearly an hour that evening trying to make her vomit as I felt I had nothing to lose at that stage. I didn't succeed but I extended period of massage and manipulation must have helped because the next morning there was a notable improvement and 3 or 4 days later she was able to go back in with the others and start eating normally again. So far, she has been fine since.
    Good luck with your girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by