Help in choosing the right chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hannahrose894, May 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hannahrose894

hannahrose894 Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2010
    West Lafayette
    I am a total newbie at chickens, and am trying to decide which breed would be right for me. I have researched a while online and came up with a list, but I don't know where to go from there! I am looking to buy to hens for egg production (preferably brown eggs, but that doesn't really matter) that are fairly calm, are very winter-hardy, can do fairly well in a smaller grazing area (my backyard) and are fun and maybe even good around children. I live in northern Indiana where the weather fluxuates greatly, and will not be able to heat their coop. THis is what I have come up with so far:
    Welsummer
    Ameraucana
    Australorp
    Barnevelder
    Delaware
    Dominique
    Araucana
    Orpington
    Plymouth Rock
    Rhode Island
    Star
    Sussex
    Wyandotte

Any suggestions or comments would be amazingly appreciated!!

2. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    I LOVE my golden buffs! They get pretty big but a socal and pretty there calm and have LOTS of feathers! [​IMG]

3. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    What about Buff orpingtons and Brahmas!! They match your little list perfectly! They lay lots of brown eggs, are kid friendly, calm, bear confinment well and don't mind the cold! Look them up on the breed list! [​IMG]

4. JLS

JLS Love my feathered babies!

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    I live in Maine and I do not heat my coop. That being said, I love my buff orpingtons...but a few of them did get frost bite on their combs and wattles. Therefore I have decided to buy only breeds that have rose or pea combs (of course I will keep my BO's). My new babies arriving on 6/7/10 are Americaunas and Wyandottes. I have Faverolles too, they are great layers but a bit skittish [​IMG]

5. chickencoop13

chickencoop13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    nh
    we live in nh and got light brahmas easter eggers (ees) and production reds. we have some nh reds which is like a rhode island that have done good in the winter but also dominiques have done great

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by