HELP in deciding on a duck breed....SO MANY TO CHOOSE FROM

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by honeydoll, Jul 21, 2010.

1. honeydoll

honeydoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    Well, I became a chicken addict last year and now I need another fix...DUCKS. What';s next, this has to stop sometime, don't it...

Any way, I just can't decide what I want. SO many choices. So I thought the great people of BYC could give me some suggestions...

Here's what I am looking for:

1. Good layer, I would like to be able to sell some eggs and enjoy some for ourselves too

2. Goes broody, would like to hatch but I do have a bator so this is not necessary just prefered

3. Doesn't fly

4. I am really into rare breeds but that is not my No. 1 desire so can live without it. IF I could get a rare breed that was a good layer that'd be great.

5. Fairly friendly, now I know this is also an individual thing but some breeds do tend to have more friendlier ducks.

6. Would like a good dual purpose duck, as well. Although from my researching it seems most lean toward specific breeds for each. Any info here would be helpful. THanks.

Understand I have done my research, I just can't make up my mind. I just thought letting you know what I was looking for would help with suggestions. There are probably several breeds I have never heard of so I may learn something. Thanks in advance for helping me make up my mind. I have looked into Magpies, thinking of them alot.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  2. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I wish I could help you but I am just too in love with my Muscovies to suggest any other breed! [​IMG]

I have adopted some mixed babies this year though and they're fairly friendly & their moms were good layers..lots of color variety too!

3. honeydoll

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    Muscovies don't lay many eggs do they? I read they didn't but I've found after talking to actual owners, what I read doesn't always match personal experience.

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    How about magpies or Stanbridge white? The magpie is a gorgeous multi-purpose duck, excellent laying ability, good body size, large enough to eat but not a heavy breed by any means. They are quite rare, and I highly recommend stock from Holderread Waterfowl.

The Stanbridge white is so rare it's not technically even available in the U.S. However, it's developed from an unmarked sport of the magpie and carries many of the excellent qualities of the magpie plus it's all white so the meat would all dress out easier and whiter. It's also a little larger and, I've heard, an even better layer than the magpie.

To start in Stanbridges, you can contact Annarie on these boards--she has a starter flock of them--or see if you can get your hands on some unmarked magpies and go from there. I have an unmarked magpie drake in my flock and he is gorgeous and calm.

I have a small starter flock of magpies and so far pretty happy with them. I can't speak to their laying ability yet because they are only four months old, but they are very very beautiful.

The only thing they don't have, apparently, is mothering ability--my understanding is that they do not tend to go broody or become good mothers. Of course, there are exceptions in any breed.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

5. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I also have mullti-purpose ducks and they are somewhat rare. Hate the term "rare", because who is there to decide. I have Saxony ducks and just love them. I was looking for a dual purpose duck that lays plenty of eggs. You can google some info on them. Here are some pics of my flock:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    I have Pekin and Rouen as far as egg laying not flying and friendly
    They both lay daily and are as friendly as you make them
    Pekin is my favorite next to muscovy as friendly
    Muscovy lay well but not daily for long season laying
    Pekin also are excellent for meat birds very mild and awesome on a grill [​IMG]

7. honeydoll

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    Stanbridge white and Saxony sound like what I'm looking for. I'll have to look into Saxony a bit more.
    Although the Pekin sounds yummy to eat and nice to enjoy.

Thanks. Keep them coming.

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Cayuga!

Let me repeat myself: Cayuga!

Beautiful ducks, good layers, good dual purpose breed, one of the quieter breeds, doesn't fly, reportedly a breed which may go broody more than others. Mine are friendly, although the drake is much friendlier than the duck. (I have a pair.)

9. honeydoll

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    Quote:Cayuga. I have to google more on them. I looked up Saxony and there is conflicting info on if they fly well. Some say theirs fly but never far.

10. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Quote:Saxonies are to heavy to fly. Mine keep on trying and they can't. It's funny to see them running slapping their wings. My male managed once to take off about a foot off the ground. That was a couple of days ago with a running start, and he has not managed to do so since. He is not full grown yet. This means he will get heavier and the flying idea is over. I have never seen a report of them making a 3 foot fence. They are very social and love to follow around. Also Saxonies don't grow as fast as Pekins, this means they have more muscle meat and less fat. As a result the meat has less fat in it. My Saxonies go by themselves into the duck house at night, and all I have to do is close the door. They also go into their pen in the evening from their free ranging activity.

Some links:
    http://albc-usa.org/cpl/waterfowl/saxony.html
    http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Ducks/Sax/BRKSax.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by