Help in determining gender

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by keloid, Feb 9, 2013.

1. keloid

keloid Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2012
    Hi,

I'm brand new to raising chickens. I hatched these chickens ~10 weeks ago. Can you help me determine their gender? I'm focusing on determining the Ameracaunas' genders first. They are mostly white with some black and are centered in the first 3 pictures. If you can help with the gender of the other chickens pictured -- that'd be great as well. I can also post additional pictures if needed. Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Looks like a roo to me... Red comb, pointy neck and tail feathers, and that stance.

3. PSJ

PSJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Sabine Parish, La
    Roo

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Easter egger cockeral.

5. chicken95

chicken95 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2013
    Cockerel

6. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    So far in my limited experience, any bird that has a red comb and wattles and it only weeks old is male. It's harder with silkies because of their purple combs...what color are a female silkie's comb? I only have a roo...Does a silkie's comb change color? I don't know...but what I look for is red on the face around a couple of months old...any 2 month old bird with red that I thought was a cockerel has been. I got a broody and her clutch a few months ago. All the babies were around 7-8 weeks old. You could tell right then which was which, because the males had tiny red combs, while the females looked like they just had a few orange-y colored bumps. They are about to turn 5 months old now, and the pullets are just starting to grow in combs and wattles and turn red.

7. keloid

keloid Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2012
    Thanks for your responses, everyone. Does everyone think the white/black chicken in the last picture is a cockarel too? I will have to find new homes for them.. Missnu01, I'll have to get back to you on the details for the silkies. I understand it's a lot harder to tell gender for them.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Cockerel

9. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    Easter Egger Cockerel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by