Help in determining sex, Joyce or Joey?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hiddenchickmama, Sep 16, 2012.

1. hiddenchickmama

hiddenchickmama Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2012
    I'm getting really nervous about one of my birds, gender wise so I subjected her/him to lots of pictures today. This is a 20/21 week old bird who was suppose to be female but now I'm just not sure. This was the smallest of the chicks, also the loudest from day one but the friendliest too.

The other two are bigger, but have no crown to speak of....very small.

I wasn't sure which angles would be the best so there's a little of everything.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. RockerHen

RockerHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Chappells, SC
    At 20 weeks there would be obvious saddle and tail feathers if she was a rooster. I think she's all girl, and is going to start to lay eggs soon [​IMG]

3. RockerHen

RockerHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Chappells, SC
    Also, [​IMG]

4. hennotrooster

hennotrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    Hesperia CA
    Our first 6 chicks turned out to all be roosters, we think, sadly one passed at 5 days. About 5 months later 4 started to crow so I took them back to the store we purchased them from. We kept the smallest one..which was a third smaller than the other 4...and bought 2 Sussex hens. Well the one we did keep started to crow as well we him and he was a beautiful bird. Your bird will in time let you know what sex it is as soon as it has something to say or drop.

5. hiddenchickmama

May 9, 2012
    You just made my day!! My girls are technically illegals (I did get the go ahead of a commissioner though) and I was trying to talk myself into keeping 'him' anyway if it turned out that way. I can breath better now. One of them has been spending time in the last few days in the nesting box with the dummy eggs. I was just hoping she had matured quicker than the others.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The red comb and wattles are signs of sexual maturity/fertility. All your hens will eventually have them, she'll be your first layer.

7. hiddenchickmama

May 9, 2012
    That's what I was hoping. I would hate to think I'd called her Joyce since she was 4 weeks old and it go the other way! Thanks.

8. ChickenExtreme

ChickenExtreme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    Pullet, POL

9. hiddenchickmama

May 9, 2012
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by