Help in feeding weak chick

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dustbath, Jun 27, 2008.

1. dustbath

dustbath Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Washington County, NY
    I'm looking for advice on caring for an early and weak chick (I posted the beginning of this last night). I've been trying to give it sugar water but it doesn't seem to be drinking much. Someone said I would have to force its beak open: any ideas on how to do that without injuring the chick?

I found it outside the nest with its yolk sack still outside the abdomen. I think maybe the egg broke before it was finished.

2. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Sometimes the yolk sac with absorb within a couple of days...sometimes the chicks don't make it. You should be able to put the eye dropper right on the side of it's beak and when you squeeze a drop out it will stimulate the chick to open it's beak. Get some Poly-Vi-Sol (children's vitamins) from the drugstore and give the chick 1 drop 3 times a day. Also be sure you are giving it water with electrolytes. If you don't have any, get some pedialyte (plain, not flavored) and dilute it half and half with water and give it that. Keep it warm under a light and pray! Wishing you and the chick the best...[​IMG]

3. dustbath

Jun 26, 2008
    Washington County, NY
    I tried but it doesn't open its beak when I press the dropper to the side of the beak. It thrashes its head around without opening it.

Thanks for the nutrition suggestions: I'll try that (if I can figure out the mechanics).

4. Three Cedars Silkies

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Hold it's head between your first two fingers so it can't thrash. It probably doesn't know that you've got "good stuff" for it to drink. Be careful not to get anything in it's nostrils...that's an easy place to misplace a drop of water. If you can get some liquid in a few times, it will get the hand of it and open it's beak. Is the chick trying to stand?

5. dustbath

Jun 26, 2008
    Washington County, NY
    Thanks - I was able to keep its head still following your suggestion. But it still won't open its beak.

It's sort of standing and tottering a few steps. It still has the remains of its yolk sack attached, which impedes its walking. The sack was very large when it first hatched and seemed to have ruptured. It's now drying out.

6. Three Cedars Silkies

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I would do as others have suggested. Take a thread and tie the cord off near it's belly. Use 3 or 4 knots...and you may want to double the thread. Then cut the cord and get rid of the sack stuff.

Use your fingernail to open the chicks beak and put a couple drops of water in. Also, I mentioned on the other thread...you can give it egg yolk. That will be a big boost for it if you can get it in the chick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by