Help! In need of some reassurance.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Flutterbee, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Flutterbee

Flutterbee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Virginia
    So for the first time, I've started to candle the eggs my hen is sitting on. It's okay to do that right? I only do a few at a time (like the ones that are on the outside of the clutch because I don't feel like reaching completely under her). I don't want to actually detach the placenta or something. I gently put them back under her. I don't know, I'm just really anxious with this batch of eggs. She's sitting on like twelve or thirteen and I've seen movement before and I really hope I have a few hatch. Are chick eggs pretty hardy? I have severe OCD and stress so I'm like hyper-focused on the little guys and could use some reassurance that I haven't murdered the lot and my hen will continue to sit and they will hatch (we're about twelve to thirteen days in). It's been so long since I've had chicks.

2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

As long as you are careful, and don't drop them or leave them out from under the hen, it will be fine. Don't fret......

1 person likes this.
  3. Flutterbee

Aug 11, 2014
    Virginia
    Thank you so much. None have been dropped and I make sure they are completely under her. My mother says this is the last time I'm allowed to hatch any chicks (she doesn't like chickens) so I really am hoping everything goes well with this batch of babies since my flock has been dwindling.

4. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    Hi Flutterbee,

I have severe ADHD ( like averaging 2-3 hours of interrupted sleep, hyper-focusing on nothing but 'chick' stuff-I haven't watched tv going on 5 days, which I haven't done since summer camp 30 years AGO(!), in other words, I think I can empathize with you in my ADHD way...it sounds like you have your wits about you and between this site and YouTube you can learn or compare notes to most anything you want to know, right?
    I will speak only for myself...I couldn't do this without all of you and YouTube (to stimulate my way of visually absorbing, and keeping information.)
    When I first started out on this journey both my cardiac arrhythmia AND my G.I.R.D. went into, what felt like, hyper-drive! You guys have been the best medicine, literally!
    The last few days of bantering with members and becoming more and more comfortable with my role as surrogate has led me to the nearest feeling of Zen I know...hopefully what goes around comes around and that equates to the largest 'family' network for you to know you are swathed in reassurance and therefore will not be alone in your endeavor(s), chicken or otherwise.
    You keep taking good care and I personally will look forward to seeing what happens with all those eggs!

Meg

BTW! While thinking of you and turning my 9 potential bundles of JOY, I decided to 'cheat' and quickly candled 2 of them...I officially have at least ONE VIABLE EGG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You have become part of my official good-luck charm network!
    Hope to 'see' ya soon!

1 person likes this.
  5. Flutterbee

Aug 11, 2014
    Virginia
    Thank you so much for your kind words! I really appreciate it! Yeah, my OCD basically has me thinking of the worst possible scenarios that might happen and I'll feel a bit better once the first chick arrives, but I am so with you with the hyper focus thing! It's nice to get on here and look at people talking about chickens. It's very relaxing as chickens are my favorite animal! Congrats on your viable egg! I have seen a few ones under my hen (not sure how many) but they are due to hatch early next week <3 Fingers crossed that both of ours do!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by