help in the Phoenix area

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by AZoverEZ, Mar 21, 2017.

1. AZoverEZ

AZoverEZ Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2014
    Arizona
    Is there anyone in the Phoenix, AZ area that I could contact? We have lost all of our original hens who would have turned 3 in May. I know the heat is hard on chickens, but I really would like to talk to someone. Our last hen of the group died Sunday, after it got hot last week. We only had two from our original group because 5 of them ended up being roosters, but we purchased two others a few months later and all 4 have died. I have 3 others and hope to try and keep them around longer. They all stop laying at 2 years of age. A month or so before the hens die, always when it is hot, they have diarrhea. I have done testing for parasites/worms. Maybe they just have runny poop due to drinking more water because of the heat. I'm just curious if there is something I could be doing differently. The other chickens never get sick, so it doesn't seem to be contagious. They have a large open coop with a run and an area where they can free range.I couldn't bring myself to do a necropsy,

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Provide lots of shade. I live in Central Texas, on really hot days I run a sprinkler on top of the coop and run to cool the hot metal roof. Itlowers the internal temperature by about 10ยบ.

3. AZoverEZ

May 6, 2014
    Arizona
    Thank you. Yes, the run is shaded and a shade cloth is placed along the south facing portion of the run. We installed a misting system 2 summers ago and also put frozen milk jugs in their water.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    They definitely will drink more when it's hot and have loose stools because of it.
    Deep shade is essential.
    I use chik saver electrolytes when it's hot here.

Try your state chat thread:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/31227/arizona-chickens

5. AZoverEZ

May 6, 2014
    Arizona
    Thank you! I have tried that thread in the past, when we first joined 3 years ago, and never received a response to any questions. I should try again.

6. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    When I had my flock in Florida, heat was an almost year-round factor. Some of the things that helped my birds stay comfortable were: large shallow dish filled with water they could stand in; hosing down the floor of the run several times a day; replacing the solid doors with screen doors; replacing the glass windows with screen windows; running a box fan in the coop (pointed up so it didn't blow directly on them); natural and manmade shade.

Hope some of those ideas work for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by