Help Incubater!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by [email protected], Oct 11, 2011.

1. leghornlover@123

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2011
    Santa Fe, Nm
    Does an incubater have to be coverd in glass

2. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Glass, plexiglass, plastic wrap, just something to hold the heat and humidity in. If you could get a bigger cooler, run the bulb in through the side of it, put a few holes in the side for air, and then just put the top on the cooler I think it would help your chances. You could always cut a hole in the top of the styrofoam lid and use tape to make yourself a plastic wrap or some other kind of plastic viewing window.

3. leghornlover@123

Oct 8, 2011
    Santa Fe, Nm
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Is it not to late now its only been three days!?

4. Impress

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    I hope it will be okay, if the temperature isn't too awfully high right now they may not have even started to develop, and fertile eggs can sit a while before you incubate them. I would say get a bigger cooler, work on it and get it set up right then switch those eggs over. Then candle at 7-10 days and see if you have any developing. If not, find some more fertile eggs and try fresh with a new batch. I do wish you good luck, I kept secret eggs in an incubator I bought at a yard sale for $5 when I was 16, only one hatched but my Mother was tolerant of me keeping it in my room as a pet until it started crowing, the little sneak! I gave it to a friend that kept chickens, and it lived a good long roostery life and made plenty of babies for me to go visit and coo over. His name was Poule and he lived in a hamster cage until he outgrew it, then he lived in a guinea pig cage.

5. leghornlover@123

Oct 8, 2011
    Santa Fe, Nm
    Im gonna rebuild it now post picture in a bit wish me luck:D

6. Impress

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Good luck, I'm rooting for you!

7. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    [email protected] :

Does an incubater have to be coverd in glass

You really have to stop all the double posting. Your best chance at success is to research and study everything you need to know about incubating, raising and rearing chickens BEFORE you begin. I understand you're young, but at your age, you still know there is more to hatching chicken eggs than hanging a light bulb over an open lunch cooler with no thermometer. For the health and well being of any chick that should defy all odds and actually hatch, please don't attempt this again without more research. I appreciate your interest and I believe you will be much happier with your results if you do your homework first.[​IMG]

8. leghornlover@123

Oct 8, 2011
    Santa Fe, Nm
    Thats why i joined and i have learned so much here are a few pics of new incubater

9. leghornlover@123

Oct 8, 2011
    Santa Fe, Nm
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Haha new and improved

10. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    I don't think that is going to work... The heat from the bulb needs to get to the eggs and it can't. You really need to do some research. The lights in incubators are controlled by a thermostat so as not to get too hot and too cold BUT THAT IS VERY TRICKY takes days and weeks to get it right sometimes. DON'T BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

There is a link below my post that shows how I made my incubator. It is very basic except the egg turner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by