HELP!! INCUBATING CHICKENS

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by athomp38, Aug 15, 2013.

1. athomp38

athomp38 New Egg

May 27, 2013
    Ok I have incubated chickens before and I did the full process successfully. Well my question is I had a chicken that was broody and I put eggs under her to hatch out. She hatched out 3 but I know these other eggs are supposed to hatch this Sunday. Once she hatched out three she stopped sitting on the other eggs so I took the eggs in to incubate them but here is my concern. She stopped laying on them a day and a half ago and last night it got cooler temperatures outside. Is there any chance that these eggs could still make it with me incubating them since they are due to hatch Sunday or did she kill them by not laying on them last night?

2. Animal lover342

Animal lover342 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    Have you tried candling them to see if you can see any movement? Were the eggs cold when you took them in?

3. ChickenAndMore

ChickenAndMore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    Texas
    It depends on how cold it got. I have had a power outage once and the temp in the incubator got down to 80 degrees Fahrenheit and some hatched but had many issues (not fully developed or ready to come out).

4. athomp38

athomp38 New Egg

May 27, 2013
    I haven't tried candeling them yet since I wanted to get them warmed up ASAP. They were cold since it was cold last night I believe it dropped to 50 degrees out. I figured I would try to save them if possible since they only had a few more days left.

5. Animal lover342

Animal lover342 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    If they have gotten that cold then there is probably not a chance that they are going to hatch. But miracles have happened.

6. larryjm21

larryjm21 New Egg

Aug 15, 2013
    Hi there, I have a little D'Uccle that wanted to hatch eggs, so I gave her 3 eggs. She did not spend a lot of time on them and I know that whole days went by and she did not sit on them. But at at day 21, 2 eggs hatched, really cute kids, then on day 24, the 3rd hatched. Do not give up and give I\them a few extra days, it may surprise you.

7. athomp38

athomp38 New Egg

May 27, 2013
    Okay thanks for all your help! Ill still try anyways and I'm def not a person to give up easily especially on animals :)

8. athomp38

athomp38 New Egg

May 27, 2013
    Miracles do happen guys!!! My chicks hatched :)

9. ChickenAndMore

ChickenAndMore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    Texas
    Awesome [​IMG]. How many?

10. athomp38

athomp38 New Egg

May 27, 2013
    So far one fully hatched last night and had no problems. Looks very cute and healthy. Another one cracking the shell now and one more is pecking the inside of the egg. So 3 out of 6 so far I know are alive at least. I'm very happy I got to save at least a few. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by