Help incubating Guinea eggs and Geese...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HenPen, May 15, 2010.

1. HenPen

HenPen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I have read lots on here about hatching geese and most all say stop turning on day 26....does that mean to turn them on day 26 and no more after that or don't turn on day 26 at all?

Next thing I am getting Guinea eggs and I have NO IDEA how to incubate them...Temp? How long till hatch? Humidity? Lock down?? Boy,oh boy why did I bid on those eggs!?

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  2. fishman65

fishman65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    flat rock
    Relax, step back and take a deep breath. OK> now guineas are the same incubation as chickens. the only difference is that they take 28 days with turning to stop on day 25.As far as humidity it varies with everyone you ask, some say a higher humidity around 50-60% is needed but i am a firm "Dry Hatcher" and keep my humidity around 25-30%. Right now i have three incubators full of guinea eggs. My girls are in overdrive and laying like troopers. As far as your turning question it is up to you, you can turn on the last day before lockdown or you can just let eggs rest, by the time lockdown comes around the eggs are so well formed that turning is not important. Good luck!

3. HenPen

HenPen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Thank you so Much!! I am a "Dry Hatcher" too...so pretty much with Guineas hatch them like I do chickens but they hatch at 28 days...Thats easy enough....I have never had or hatched guineas,since you have them can you tell me more about gunieas in general or refer me to some place to read? My main questions are what do you feed them? How old and how do you sex them? Will the males behave like Roosters? Do you keep them like chickens? How old before they start laying?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by