HELP!! Incubator got unplugged :/

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GraceHomestead, Jan 17, 2017.

1. GraceHomestead

GraceHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2016
    This is my first time with incubation. Today is day 9 and everything has gone very well. We did Candeling on Sunday and removed all unfertile eggs.
    My cat must have unplugged the incubator at some point I am unsure when.
    When I came in to check like I do every morning the temp was 79 and humidity 70! I quickly plugged the bator back in and now I need to know what to do! Will they be ok? Or will we have to start over :(

2. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    No - they should be fine. Just plug it in and go from there. They may hatch a little late, but it doesn't sound like it was longer than 24 hours, right?

3. SIMZ

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    It's happened to me before. We had a power outage when it was cold and the power was off for almost 12 hours. Another time I accidently locked my broody hen away from her eggs for 8 hours about 3 days before they were supposed to hatch! [​IMG]Believe it or not, they all just fine.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  4. GraceHomestead

Jun 21, 2016
    Thanks, Right! I checked everything at 1:00 before going to bed and this morning hubby checked at 6am so it happened between 6 and 9 this morninh. I plugged back in and it is now back to the normal temp but The humidity is still a tad high.

5. GraceHomestead

Jun 21, 2016
    Oh my I would have been very upset! So they made it? We are at day 9 so still very early.

I am glad they all turned out fine. My hubby said, "The chickens/ducks get up to eat and drink! They will be fine!" but I am a worry wart! Lol

6. SIMZ

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I felt so sick over the hen - I was so upset with myself! I was just devastated and knew the chicks had died while that poor hen desperately tried to get back into her coop, but I had those eggs in the incubator ready to hatch at the same time, so I knew I could still let her have chicks. WELL, that's when the power went out and I thought those all died, too. It was horrible!

Fortunately, I confessed to a fellow poultry keeper and she said they'd be fine and it would be ok. They just might hatch a little later. She was right! The broody's chicks hatched and the incubator chicks hatched. Both had great hatch rates, too! Every single one of the broody's eggs hatched after that, believe it or not!

7. GraceHomestead

Jun 21, 2016
    Wow!! Happy dance for sure!! I would have been beside myself!!!
    My heart sank when I looked in and saw 79 :/ and saw it unplugged. We just had candeled them on Sunday and saw all of the embryos dancing around :) Which makes it even more "real" :D

8. seventreesfarm

seventreesfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2012
    Everson, WA
    It takes a few hatches to start being able to go with the flow. I used to get crazy with spreadsheets and egg weights and micromanaging humidity. But all the near misses helped me sort out a consistent ballpark for my particular incubator and hatching style, so now I relax a little more. Mostly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by