Help incubator temp?????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jacqdiva, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Jacqdiva

Jacqdiva Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2014
    Hervey Bay QLD Australia
    Seems like I was in ignorant bliss. Have been hatching with my incubator janoel 24 and have temp set to factory setting of 37.8 C I bought a CHEAP hygrometer that has a thermometer too. The humidity says 49%, and temp 34 C now I am worried. What should I believe? Incubator or thermometer? HELP :barnie

2. Jacqdiva

Mar 23, 2014
    Hervey Bay QLD Australia
    Can anyone recommend a small hygrometer thermometer to sit inside with the eggs???:/

3. Jacqdiva

Mar 23, 2014
    Hervey Bay QLD Australia
    Anyone?:confused:

4. msashley

msashley New Egg

Jul 31, 2014
    They will be different. Temp should be in a still air 102F and circulated 99.6/99.8. Humidity the first 18 days 40 I believe? And for hatch 65. We are hatching today do our humidity is 65 & temp is 99.8

5. Jacqdiva

Mar 23, 2014
    Hervey Bay QLD Australia
    Thanks for your response. I just don't know which to believe my incubator or cheap thermometer??? Also my tanks are full, so I don't know what to do.

6. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    I would suggest getting a reptile/lizard hygrometer from your local pet store and a small thermometer from your garden centre. I am only saying this as this is what I did when my first incubator a very cheap one failed to hatch anything the first time even though I thought I had done everything correct. I found out after purchasing the new thermometer I was cooking my eggs because the temp was so off what it should be. And that I was putting far too much water in for humidity I had the whole bottom of bator full of water when all it needed was a little splash to maintain 45% for days 1-18. I would always go on what new thermometer and hygrometer say. Hope this helps you make a decision. Also is it still air or forced air bator? Still air can have hot and cold spots.

7. Shalah

Shalah New Egg

Aug 10, 2014
    You can calibrate your hygrometer to check if its correct. Place enough water into a small container of salt to make it like wet sand.... NOT sludge. I used a bottle cap. Place this into a sealed plastic bag along with hygrometer and leave about 8 hrs or overnight. The hygrometer should read 75%. You can now see how much your hygrometer is " out" and make the same adjustment each time you read hygrometer.

Ive just hatched my first lot and next time I will concentrate more on approx. 13% weight loss of egg from start to finish rather than worrying about perfect humidity levels. Work out average weight of one of your eggs and how much 13% of that weight is so you know what the approx. end weight should be. Ive read others suggest anywhere from 11% - 16% is accepted so you don't have to be exact. Also pencil the outline of air cell each time you candle.

I raised the humidity higher by placing a clean wet wash cloth or sponge onto the tray of the incubator ( away from the eggs). Its the amount of wet surface area that will raise your humidity... not the amount of water. I placed the cloth under the top vent so I could carefully place more water onto it without opening the lid and also dropped a corner into the bottom so it acted as a wick from the water in the bottom.

As I said, Ive only just hatched my first chickens, so by no means an expert, but happy to help where I can as I see you have the same incubator as myself. My thermometer and incubator matched exactly but all I can suggest is that the eggs should feel warm in your hand.. not hot... not cold.

I also have parrots so I guess Ive learned a few things from reading up about them as well.

Good luck.

8. Shalah

Shalah New Egg

Aug 10, 2014
    Just a suggestion .... I would take the cheap hygrometer/ thermometer to Bunnings or somewhere that sells them and compare the readings against a number of other ones on sale to see if it is reading the same. I think even expensive ones can be giving the wrong readings .

1 person likes this.
  9. Jacqdiva

Mar 23, 2014
    Hervey Bay QLD Australia
    Thank you so much everyone for all the tips and ideas. I have hatched in this incubator fairly successfully a couple of times. I am on lockdown, and have filled the second tank. I will hope for the best. I guess ignorance was bliss, when I was just reading the incubator temp before. This time I have faverolles eggs in that wer shipped, so I really really want something out of these. I have some of my own eggs in there Wyandottes and Orpingtons, and I did notice they had stronger development. FINGERS CROSSED!!!
    I will take all your comments on board and utilise them. Thanks once again.

10. Jacqdiva

Mar 23, 2014
    Hervey Bay QLD Australia
    Ok so even if the cheap hygrometer/thermometer is right at 50% humidity, and :)34 degrees C.....my own eggs from my Wyandottes and Orpingtons are pipping early!!! There is hope. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by