Help indentifying breed & sex of these lovely 5-week-old chicks [Pics]

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cuddlewuddles, Sep 17, 2009.

1. cuddlewuddles

cuddlewuddles New Egg

Jun 14, 2009
    SoCal
    About 5 weeks ago I got these 6 chicks from a friend who couldn't keep them. The breed of these chicks are entirely unknown. It is known that they are all from different hens, so none of them are related. The RIR hen with them is just a broody hen who we gave the eggs to.
    Now that the chicks are older I was hoping to get some clarity on their breeds and most importantly, their gender. I don't know much about chicken breeds so I can't really tell what they are. I also don't know much about telling the difference between developing roosters and hens, as all my previous chicks were hens. There is one chick who Im pretty sure is a rooster as his comb is much more developed then anyone else.
    Any guesses on their breed/sex would be really helpful! Thank you! I have more pictures if anyone wants.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Really pretty one

[​IMG]
    This is the one Im pretty sure is a rooster

2. muddipuppy

muddipuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Mountain View, CA
    The buff reminds me a lot of my orpington. but what do i know? just a guess. [​IMG]

3. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    I'm guessing you have a BO, Barred Rock and maybe a mix of the two. Not sure what the whites are though.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2009
  4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    The black and white one has white earlobes so it could be a number of things... Exchequer Leghorn, Ancona mix, SLW mix.

Looks like three Delaware mixes, a Buff Orpington and a mongrel.

Also, the hen looks more like a red sex link with that white tail.

5. cuddlewuddles

cuddlewuddles New Egg

Jun 14, 2009
    SoCal
    Thank you for the help! Im pretty sure they're mixed breeds, but it's good to have a lead on what kind of breed they may have. Any guesses on the sexes?? Im hoping not too many are roosters, considering we'll have to get rid of any males.

6. Mrs Chickens

Mrs Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2009
    Winterbourne
    The dark grey and fleck white looks like a cuckoo maran - I would put money on it as i have one, the white and black fleck look a bit like white sussexs possible a bit of cross breeding going on. Type in names on google and see what pics come up to link to the breed types people are giving you - good way to check it out.

Not sure about the sex's but have been told after they first molt (when they fethers fall out and are replace with new ones - you don't end up with naked chickens - JUST IN CASE you worry and start knitting them jumpers). You will know for sure as they boy will look very hand some in deed!!

You can check by looking at there wing fethers apparently but I have'nt done this yet - but I found out this -

You can tell at about 12 weeks old. Then the roos will begin to crow and they will grow saddle feathers. These are the feathers on the back of the chicken. The males have pointed feathers, the females have smooth and rounded feathers.

7. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    I was going to say Barred rock on the barred one [​IMG] (the leghorns would be more of a mottled look rather than barred), buff orp for the tan one (white legs), the others... a light brahma x maybe? The "roo" Who I would probably also guess was a boy, is beautiful, but I have no clue what cross! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by