Help india blue male peafowl update lost him

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by tamsflock, Oct 19, 2011.

1. tamsflock

tamsflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Ashville, Alabama
    Yesterday he was perfectly fine went to feed them today and he had his head buried picked him up his crest is gone. When i put him down he wont stand? What could be wrong what do I do he is about 6 months old she is acting fine.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  2. Arbor

Arbor Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    Canada
    Have they been wormed yet?

3. tamsflock

Nov 13, 2008
    Ashville, Alabama
    think the man i got them from did I have had them one month is there any other way to worm them besides in the water. he is not eating or drinking... What should I do..

4. tamsflock

Nov 13, 2008
    Ashville, Alabama
    We lost him. he died in my sons girfriends arms. She had had them a month they were 6 months old he was just getting in the pretty colors!!! She was going to give the pair to her mom for her birthday in 2 weeks. It is so sad. We have actually hid those birds for 5.5 weeks and her mom hadn't seen them yet. Just a terrible evening here she is so upset loosing this bird. [​IMG]

5. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    I am really sorry for your loss. Is there any way you could open him up and see if you see anything wrong? This could be very important to make sure the female is ok...

6. Sorry for the loss. Try not to beat yourselves up too much, these things do happen to animals. I would suggest that with a downturn as sudden as you describe that it was a condition probably fatal in any event.

We can worm, observe and treat the animals as best we can but sometimes things happen. It can be as simple as swallowing a small piece of glass, metal object or even a sharp piece of stone. We do the best we can and most provide excellent care but stuff happens to them just as it happens to us.

7. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    [​IMG]

8. Tikkajazz94

Tikkajazz94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry to hear. Loosing one can be really hard sometimes

9. tamsflock

Nov 13, 2008
    Ashville, Alabama
    Thanks evryone it is really hard loosing him but I think we did everything we could do. Just stinks...

10. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    sorry........thing about peafowl ,some people think they are weak and die easy.

Really hardy birds to the point they look fine ,show no sign of illness.....untill just before they die.

Best to keep a eye on your peafowl , thing like feeling their breast when feeding or petting. Watch for them puffing up fearthers and the gapping of the throat.

prevention goes a long way.......keeping them wormed if the biggest help , keep some tylan on hand .

Again sorry you lost him , worm the other with safe guard for goats 3 cc per gal of water for 3 days, then again 10 days later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by