HELP INFECTED EYE!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Allegram31, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Allegram31

Allegram31 New Egg

Sep 5, 2014
    Hi!! I need serious help with my chicken. Her eye has always been a problem, but this morning when I woke it I found it blew up like a ballon. It's obviously seriously infected and her lung on that side is popping when she breathes. I don't know if I should try to drain it and where to get antibiotics. Any help please??? I feel terrible as she must be suffering immensely. I want to do something immediately. Thank you in advance. ALSO, if someone could tell me how to add a picture that might be helpful.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  2. 3duardo

3duardo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2014
    Need help too

3. 3duardo

3duardo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2014
    [​IMG]

4. Allegram31

Allegram31 New Egg

Sep 5, 2014
    [​IMG]

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Respiratory diseases such as mycoplasma (MG,) or coryza can cause swelling of the face or around one or both eyes. Is there any bad smell around the face of the chicken? Is there any coughing or nasal drainage? Tylan50 is an injectable medication that can be given in a shot into the breast muscle 1/4 inch daily for 3-5 days. It can also be given by mouth undiluted daily for 5 days. Oxytetracylcine can be used in the water if the chicken is drinking well enough to take the medication. Here is a good link to read about MG and coryza: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

6. Allegram31

Allegram31 New Egg

Sep 5, 2014
    It smells bad, but no wheezing or coughing. She is actually acting completely normal, even laid her usual egg. The puss on it is yellow and hardened

7. Allegram31

Allegram31 New Egg

Sep 5, 2014
    Would Sulfadimethoxine work? It is available at walmart. She is drinking well enough that I could add it to her water. If it is not coryza, do you still think Sulfadimethoxine would be an effective antibiotic?

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If it smells bad it is probably coryza, and that is treated best with sulfadimethoxine. The picture looks like coryza also. I would clean the eyes out with saline or eye wash, and put some Terramycin or plain Neosporin ointment into them twice a day.

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    We would like to help you, but you need to describe the symptoms with some detail. You can even post in another language if necessary.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by