Help! Infected swollen leg [PIC GRAPHIC]

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 5Chickens, Nov 16, 2013.

1. 5Chickens

5Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2007
    Hi there about a week ago I posted a thread about my pullet having a swollen leg around her hock area. It was going down in swelling after I was treating her with antibiotics and soaking her leg in epson salt. Just yesterday it has gotten worse, much worse. The swelling is back and further up her leg/thigh area. It is hard, the feather have fallen off and her skin is tight, warm, and infected looking. There seems to be some yellow liquid as well as scabbed over parts on the swollen area. How can I treat this infection? I have a feeling it is from some sort of bite while previously I couldnt find an entry wound of any sort. I will try to get pictures tomorrow. Thank you!

*Picture added in post #5

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  2. Beulah89

Beulah89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Were you giving oral antibiotics? That sounds like one bad infection. Is going to the vet an option?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    What antibiotic were you using, and is she still on it? There are many diseases causing hock and upper leg swelling ( rickets, tenosynovitis or viral arthritis, mycoplasma synovitis, and others,) but I haven't heard of them leaking or having scabs. Could she have pecked the leg? I would probably continue soaking and an antibiotic. You could try a 1/4 of a children's Benadryl just to see if it reduced any swelling.

4. 5Chickens

Dec 13, 2007
    The antibiotic was Duramycin that I had bought a tractor supply. It is being given in her water. She is eating and drinking well. Not lethargic at all. She hops around on one leg and goes about her business.
    She hasnt show any sort of interest in looking at her leg, so I am not 100% if she has or hasnt pecked her leg. But I am leaning towards she hasnt been bothering it.
    Thank you guys for the quick replies! In the morning I will post a picture and post it here. I will also give her the benadryl in the morning as well.

5. 5Chickens

Dec 13, 2007
    [​IMG]

Any ideas?

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That looks pretty swollen and painful. I think maybe it is time to change antibiotics or consult a vet. I 'm not sure what is causing this, but Duramycin is not always the best antibiotic. It is easy to find, but I would either switch to Tylan50 and give the shots or give it orally 1cc/ml daily for 5 days, or tey to find Aureomycin (chlortetracycline) or Terramycin (oxytetracycline.) If you have a vet that can prescribe Baytril (cipro) or amoxicillin, that might be best. I hope this starts to get better soon.

7. fuzzybutt love

fuzzybutt love Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Michigan
    That is pretty terrible. I would go to your nearest farm supply store and go to the refrigerated antibiotics and whatnot, get some liquid penicillin immediately! Giving shots suck but i think it's your chance. In the water might have worked had it not been so bad, but that it's still hot isn't a good sign at all. Should cool down pretty quick.

Tylan is good for respiratory issues and a few others but penicillin is good for wounds and staph. (bumblefoot is caused by staph) There are other infections similar that could be an issue.

8. 5Chickens

Dec 13, 2007
    I will try my best to find a vet around me that would possibly see a chicken. In the meantime on hand antibiotic wise I have access to the following...

-Doxycycline
    -SMZs

Would these two be a better alternative to the Duramycin?

Thank you so much for your help! I really do appreciate it

9. fuzzybutt love

fuzzybutt love Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Michigan
    Idk, all i know is that the penicillin is the one of choice for wounds. Are you sure your local supply store don't have it? My TSC has it with the horse stuff, in a fridge next to the wormer pastes. I don't know what infectious synovitis looks like but that was the other thing that sprang to mind.

Here is how to give the shot if you find the stuff, and she has other diagnostics there. Perhaps something could be of use to you. She is a member here.https://sites.google.com/a/poultryp...oultry-podiatry#chickens_penicillin_injection

10. 5Chickens

Dec 13, 2007
    I will check tomorrow for the penicillin. Thank you for the link as well!

I dont know if a before picture will help at all, but this is what it looked like at first...
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by