1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP! INJURED AFRICAN

Discussion in 'Geese' started by alycececelia, Mar 21, 2013.

1. alycececelia

alycececelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2013
    One of our pet Africans was flying into our lake (very low to the ground) and flew smack into a stump. It created a puncture wound in the middle of his chest - its pretty wide and deep I would say two fingers wide at least. We cleaned it and put something like neosporin on it .... but we are concerned about infection and survival. Any advice on what else to do? Bandage? Vet? Do they actually stitch them? Please help.

2. BunkyB

BunkyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow, devastating. With such an injury you may be able to find a sympathetic vet. That's a powerful place to hit since they use the chest muscles all the time with their calling... Is his or her breathing OK? I imagine that is very frustrating for a goose. I assume it is an African goose.

Does the breathing seem labored and if not do you think you could put wrap around the birds chest and not obstruct the wings? I know how stubborn geese can get. I own some. If the breathing is labored I would try the vet for sure. If it is in the breast area there is a lot of muscle there. I would try bactine spray, PrepH and give it a wrap. Keep a close eye for labored breathing and shock..

If it an injury around the keel off to one side sort of thing or maybe keel has been impacted? If possible, feel around the keel and feel for a break. If it seems straight I would try the same, put antibiotic spray around the injury and wrap him(her) up and keep a close eye.

It is the size of the wound that worries me. I find geese take a longer time to heal from injuries more so than other birds. If you mention needing stitches to the vet there is a chance they will help. Just don't look forward to a bill afterwards. They are crooks in my books. Wow, best of luck , I know how freaked out you can be... I will continue to watch the thread.. Steve

3. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2011
    Sorry to hear of your gander's injury. Clean wound with diluted betadine solution (the color of light iced tea) and vet wrap if bleeding. Do not use ointments. You can get penicillin from feed store and inject 1cc per 10 lbs under skin 2x daily. You can give him rimadyl for pain (if you have that on hand), but meticam is the gold standard for geese pain meds. Keep him in a clean dry environment with a quiet companion until wound closes and scabs.

If you have the luxury to take him to avian vet, I would because they can give him a long term injectable antibiotic and send you home with meticam (which is really awesome stuff). Then again, I'm a weirdo that takes my geese to the vet the same as I would my dog.

Best of luck!!!!

4. alycececelia

Feb 7, 2013
    THank you. We have done most of that and will call the Avian Vet in the morning. When I held him while my husband was dressing it, he was pretty calm. Breathing was not labored and he did call to our other 3 who were right outside. I guess the lake is gonna be off limits for awhile for him.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Please let us know how he is doing. and maybe some glasses are in his future. [​IMG]

6. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    Hoping for a quick recovery - and please, revoke his flyers licence!

7. alycececelia

Feb 7, 2013
    Well its been an interesting day. Our vet left today for Kentucky. He recommended an Avian doctor, who we called and is out of the country. That doctor's staff recommended a vet about an hour away. We called him several times today, and finally reached him this evening. He said he is going to Connecticut tomorrow to care for a giraffe, but we could bring our goose to his home so that's what we did. As he travels all around, all his supplies are in his truck. Right there in his laundry room on his wife's washing machine, he flushed Charlie's puncture wound, numbed him, stitched him up and administered pain and antibiotic medicine. He also gave us a 6 day supply of the baytril to administer orally. He said he will be just fine. His dad owns a zoo for injured/abused animals and that's how he grew up... helping his dad care for the less fortunate critters. I won't name names or locations, but our hats are off to this young, caring veterinarian who wouldn't even take payment for his work. He simply said, its all about the love of animals. You brought him all this way, that's enough for me. All I can say is WOW .............. and our goose is back with the rest of the family. Thanks DOC !!![​IMG]

8. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    So happy for you and Charlie - and what a fantastic vet! [​IMG]

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That brought a tear to my eyes. You don't hear that very often anymore. So happy to hear Charlie is doing well and back with his family.. Good job all around!! [​IMG]

10. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2011
    It brought tears to my eyes, too! What an incredible and awesome story! Kudos to you and the wonderful vet for all your efforts!! Hope he recovers quickly!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by