Help! Injured baby chick

Miss J

Hatching
Apr 7, 2020
My baby chick is almost 2 weeks old, 10 days. My dog grabbed her, I accidentally left the door cracked. I feel so horrible so please don't lecture me D: I took her to the emergency vet because she had a prolapsed cloaka and I was really scared. They fixed her up as much as possible but she's too little to have a stitch to keep it in. She's been ok about drinking water and barely eats. Because she's not eating she , I assume, pushed too hard and it again prolapsed. I gently pushed it back in but I really need to get her to eat more. She seems so incredibly exhausted and will fall asleep almost instantly. I even once had the gently shake her awake, I thought she passed. I don't know what to do. Should I be trying to force feed her? I can get her to drink but she seems uninterested in any food. She'll only peck here and there and then fall asleep. I know she's in pain and I want to help her make it but this is my first 2 chickens (she has a sister who is perfectly healthy) I separated them, as recommended by the vet. I'm just lost at what to do now. Please help me. <3 Jess

About all I can suggest is to get her drinking some electrolytes, and feed her some chick feed mixed with water and a little cooked egg yolk mixed with a little water. If you don’t have electrolytes, Pedialyte or Gatorade, or water with a little sugar may help. Honey, coconut oil, vaseline, or hemorrhoid cream can be applied to keep the vent prolapse moist.

Thank you. I'll put some coconut oil on her rear and give her some Gatorade until tomorrow. It's now been 24 hours since the incident so I wonder if she will be feeling better in the morning. I did manage to get her to eat some moist chick feed. Would every 2 or 3 hours be sufficient feeding times? She won't eat on her own so I'm going to have to time it

Back
Top Bottom