Help! Injured Call :(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by misfitbunch, Jan 9, 2017.

1. misfitbunch

misfitbunch New Egg

Jan 9, 2017
    NH
    Ideas please! I have a call duck who I found this morning bloody when I let the ducks out of their house for the day. He wouldn't come out which is very unlike him. He won't put any weight on his right leg he seems like he won't even unbend it at his hock at all so it just stays up tight to his body. His foot does look a bit swollen as a whole but I can't see any obvious signs of bumble foot. Then again I've never dealt with it so not completely sure. Along with the foot issue he has two raw bloody "crevices" for lack of better word on his back. One by his oil glad one further up. He also has a raw looking area up under his wing where maybe his foot would go when he tucks them under his wings. I brought him
    Inside today and gave him a warm tub soak and cleaned his wounds with hydrogen peroxide and have sprayed Vetricyn Poultry care on it multiple times today. It has been pretty cold here lately in the teens and twenties during the day. He does look like
    He's a little light in feathers and am wondering if these spots could be getting frost bit along with his foot. I have attached pictures of his wounds and feet. Any ideas of what could be causing this would be great. His wounds already look better from this morning so I'm sure they will heal fine I'm more worried about preventing it from
    Happening again. They do have access to dry straw to lay on and their house to go into all day but they don't. Thank you! [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

2. misfitbunch

misfitbunch New Egg

Jan 9, 2017
    NH
    [​IMG]

3. misfitbunch

misfitbunch New Egg

Jan 9, 2017
    NH
    [​IMG]

4. misfitbunch

misfitbunch New Egg

Jan 9, 2017
    NH
    [​IMG]

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @misfitbunch If there is no way a predator got hold of him and most likely they would all be dead if it did. I am thinking he was attacked by the other drakes or ducks. Tell us more about your flock your duck to drake ratio have you seen any fighting? Clean his wounds real good then apply some kind of non pain antibiotic ointment on them

Another thing if he injured his leg and was limping or showing any sign of weakness the others will pick on him too. I'd start by soaking his leg and foot in some epsom salt water he could have some infection starting or an injury but I can see swelling and some places that look like are cracked or split which can let in bacteria. But soak in warm water epsom salt It would be good to rinse his wounds out with this water too[ but don't let him drink this solution it is also a laxative.] Keep him in a smaller area so he has a chance to rest his leg and the rest can't pick on him. If he has a buddy that would help him feel better since they are flock animals and don't do well when separated completely from the flock. I'd also put some poultry vitamins in his drinking water to give his immune system a boost.

Please keep us updated on what you think happened and how he is doing.

If you do soaks in warm water with ES please keep him inside till completely dry if your experiencing the very cold temps most of us have been having. ES/water is half cup to 1 gal of nice warm water.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Thats not good....Are predators getting into the Coop?....Do you have another Drake?

I hope someone with more experience with wounds jumps in soon......

Best of luck....Poor little Duck....

Cheers!

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Miss Lydia is great....She jumped in....She will help you.........[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. misfitbunch

misfitbunch New Egg

Jan 9, 2017
    NH
    Yes he is in the house right now until
    He's more back to himself and able to get around better. His wounds look much better this morning. It's more his leg that concerns me so I will do the epsom salt soak when I get home today. He was a bit more mobile this morning. I sprayed his boo boos with the Vetricyn poultry care again. I forgot
    To mention I had also put some poultry drench in his water so he did get some more vitamins. Predators did not get him, their pen is much like Fort Knox and all the other ducks are fine. He's in a pen with two other drake calls and there have never been any problems. He tends to to actually be big guy on campus. However I may seperate the one newer male and just leave him in a pen with his best duck friend. Again I don't really think another duck caused this I've never seen any arguments among them besides when they were first introduced months ago. who knows really! But thank you for the help! I will start the salt soaks tonight and keep everyone posted!

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Good to hear he is doing better this morning.

I have a feeling maybe one or the other demoted him. Probably the newer one.

Thanks we look forward to hearing how he is doing. and Welcome to BYC @misfitbunch

10. misfitbunch

misfitbunch New Egg

Jan 9, 2017
    NH
    UPDATE! Little "Pickles" is good as new. Kept him in the house for a few days for some
    Epsom salt bath rehab and wound dressing. His wounds are very healed and he's back to walking around like usual all the swelling in his leg is gone. He's back in the pen but I have seperated my large pen into two smaller pens and he's in one half with his best little buddy (not the new call that I think picked on him) Thank you all for your help!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by