Help: Injured Chick Advise and Logistics Help (Bloody Pics)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Shannonwbl, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Shannonwbl

Shannonwbl Chillin' With My Peeps

I haven't been on for a while but we got a new batch of chicks the first of March so here I go again. Ealier today all was fine then I looked into my brooder (a 100 gal stock tank) and one of my nine chicks had blood on her. Upon closer inspection this is what I found:
    [​IMG]

I washed it off and soaked her with blu kote:

[​IMG]

So now what? If I put her back with the others they will still go after her won't they? We have a small "nursery" coop that I have them in during the day since it is so warm (80 today) but will they be okay to stay out there? If so should I add a light? They have most of their feathers except for a little on their heads. The temps later this week are supposed to be in mid 70's during the day and mid 50's at night.

It is such a circus to shift everyone and usually takes at least three people I would like to leave the others out until she heals then put them back together.

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    That looks pretty awful. I would suggest some sort of antibiotic, however, I don't have any experience with an injury of that nature.

I would separate her for sure. Not only to keep her away from the others, but to keep an eye on the wound and make sure it stays clean. Can you put her in a box in the house for now?

Good luck her her.

3. Shayna

Shayna I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    I think keeping it clean and keeping her separate will be the two most important factors for her recovery. She won't have the others to cuddle with, so use a heat lamp.

4. Shannonwbl

It is pretty nasty and I have seen her scratch at it a few times which also worries me. Since it is right behind her beak I cannot wrap it. She is eating and drinking but is not happy to be separated from the others who are outside right now.

I can keep her in a smaller box, but I am hoping the others will be okay outside which would make things much easier and she could stay in the brooder.

We just had to cull one day before yesterday with a bad spraydle (sp) leg. Not a good week so far!

5. Shayna

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    Aw that's too bad about the spraddle leg one. Keep her cage extra clean and maybe even wash her feet regularly. Keep putting blue kote on her. If you have another baby, maybe a little smaller, runty one less likely to pick on her, put it in as a buddy. The blue kote will help make it not stand out for picking, but there's no way you're going to be able to put her back in with the crowd right now that did that to her.
    If it manages not to get infected, she should heal up great. I've read so many incredible recovery stories on here. Chickens are very resiliant. Good luck!

6. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    You might also put a little mirror in with her so she thinks she has a buddy.

7. Shannonwbl

Thank you. As bad as the wound looks I am not as worried about it as I am reintroducing her and managing everyone in the meantime. I had one a while back that I just knew would not make it after a hawk attack. She had a LARGE open wound, but somehow with some tlc she managed to pull through. She walks a little wonky, but she did great.

8. Shannonwbl

Anyone look GUILTY to you? Chickens sometimes remind me of high school girls - they can be mean!

[​IMG]

9. Shayna

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    Ah, so that's what the little vultures look like. They look pretty innocent to me! How's the little one today?

10. Shannonwbl

She is fine, but I do feel sorry for her. I may try to separate the outside pen somehow so she can be out for a while and still see her buddies. It will also give me a chance to observe who tries to get "at" her and possibly find which one might be gentle and okay to put her with in a few days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by