Help injured chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickstarter12, Jan 15, 2013.

1. chickstarter12

chickstarter12 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2013
    hay we have got 6 white leghorn chicks being mothered by a bantem. this afternoon our new dog got hold of one chick by the back of the neck and now the chick have a raw and bloody neak.
    any advice?

also with the chick having a fresh injury can we put the chick back with the other chicks and mother???

2. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    If the chick is put back with the others then the blood will probably draw attention and its companion may start pecking her and making it worse. You should gently clean any wounds and use a safe blue colouring to put on the wound. This way it won't look red anymore. apart from that it should be okay to put her in with the others as long as the wound is 'disguised' and kept clean.

3. chickstarter12

Jan 14, 2013
    What do you mean by a "safe blue colouring"????

4. aggiemae

aggiemae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    "Blu cote" is a dye made to mask wounds on birds to prevent pecking but you can apply some blue food coloring paste with a Q tip for the same results. It's one of the things that is good to have on hand in a chicken. emergency kit.

BTW, not all chickens peck at wounds, the trouble is that the ones who do really tend to go for it.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  5. chickstarter12

Jan 14, 2013
    cheers thanks for the advice ill give to a go

6. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    Yep that's the one I meant - blu cote. Sorry I couldn't remember the name lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by