1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help!!!! Injured Chicken From a Mink

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by melchic, Oct 28, 2010.

1. melchic

melchic New Egg

Oct 28, 2010
    Last night a mink got into my hen house. It killed one and injured another. She has a puncture wound on her neck. We cleaned and put ointment on it and brought her in for the night. The wound doesn't seem to look too bad this morning. She is still seperated from the others. This morning she is tiping her head back so far it is resting on her back and almost looks broken, with her beak straight up in the air. She was not doing this last night. She is making lots of noise and wont eat or drink. Is she maybe just in shock? Does anyone know what else I can do for her or if they think she is going to make it?

2. TheFarmMama

TheFarmMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Stafford, VA
    Very sorry to hear that happened to you and your girls. Hopefully someone else on here can give you some advice.

3. rosco

rosco Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    does anyone know if "twisted neck" is a sign of staph or other cocci infection?

if you have a thermometer, lube it and insert it into vent. get temp. sterilize thermometer.

compare reading to normal check body temp. if elevated, give it antibiotics for this. it may need to be injected.

i'd say a vet if you can swing the cash. if not, get an appropriate antibiotic in it. sounds like it is in pain

4. TheFarmMama

TheFarmMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Stafford, VA
    In my experiences with Cocci I have never had a any that do the twisted neck thing. They usually hunker down and keep their heads real close to their shoulders like they're cold. Hope you have a vet in the area that can help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by