help- Injured hen, eating but wont drink, wounds healing

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Sarah Leighty, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Sarah Leighty

Sarah Leighty In the Brooder

Jun 5, 2017
    Hello all- One of our girls got attacked by the neighbors 2 little dogs, and they pulled her skin off pretty good from neck down between wings, and on one side. She also got a bite on her chest. This was Tuesday 9/26. We cleaned with betadine solution/warm water spray, and have treated for several days with Vetericyn gel, and now we are applying neosporin liberally once a day. She is excited to eat, though a bit picky. She is pooping, though runny and stinky but no puss or anything (sorry for that grossness if it bothers you).
    My concerns are: She only drank on her own the first day after her injury, once. Since then its been one drop at at time. We simply cant get her enough water. We are getting it in her food, and dropping on her beak- she is getting about 20cc a day but i read she needs 100cc... And the longer time goes on the more difficult it is- she is turning away from me and shaking her beak, refusing it, and as of 2 days ago she is panting on and off, a lot. She is also doing a very weird thing where she is chomping at the air (?!)... I'm starting to worry if she has neurological or brain damage.
    The Vetericyn coated some of her feathers around the wounds and made them stiff and I think it might be uncomfortable to her. I was thinking i should wash her off now that the wounds have healed- should i dip her in the sink in warm water?
    And lastly- It is October and just starting to get cold here in Eastern WA. ... I am really torn with worry about if she will be able to get her feathers back in time to cope with winter.

Any advice or thought s are welcome. Thank you!

rjohns39 likes this.
  2. N F C

N F C Poo happens, move on

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

Your girl sure has had a rough time, so sorry she was injured. You'd best post over here on this forum:Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures
    There are some very experienced "chicken medics" there that should be able to give you some advice. Photos may be helpful too.

Wishing you & your girl all the best.

rjohns39 and sourland like this.
  3. Sarah Leighty

Sarah Leighty In the Brooder

Jun 5, 2017
    Thank you! I will try to post there. Sorry- new to this.

rjohns39 likes this.
  4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams

G’Day from down under Sarah :frow Welcome!

I am so sorry to hear about your little one and agree that the Emergencies & Diseases Forum is your best bet. I hope she makes a full recovery and wish you all the best.

I also hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

rjohns39 and N F C like this.
  5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Try moistening her feed. That will help increase her water intake.

6. Junochick

Junochick Songster

Jun 10, 2017
    Globe arizona
    I would try giving her tuna, cooked egg,can cat food she will need the extra protein to help heal. Water intake can include watermelon and other juicy fruit. I would also give her electrolytes and vitamins.

7. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Did you candle today?

rjohns39 likes this.
  8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Yes, she will probably take watermelon. Try putting a little sugar in her water. I would also take photos of her and present them to the dogs' owner. Their little dogs did a whole lot of damage. So sorry.

rjohns39 likes this.
  9. rjohns39

rjohns39 Addict

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Hi and welcome to BYC:frow We're so happy you've decided to join us:ya No need to be sorry, we're here to help you navigate this awesome site. I'm so sorry to hear about your bird and would probably add canned pink salmon with the juice for vitamins and protein.

drumstick diva likes this.
  10. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you've joined us! She may be very stiff and sore and the position she needs to get in to to take a drink might just hurt too much (tilting her head up to swallow). I'd keep doing what you're doing and add in some of the suggestions above little wet food, watermelon, tuna, electrolytes. All are good suggestions.

rjohns39 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: