Help! Injured hen, possible prolapse.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by skylarms, Dec 23, 2011.

1. skylarms

skylarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Buckley, WA
    I came home from last minute christmas shopping to what appears to be a wet hen. She looked like she stood in the rain (it had been raining earlier). I then noticed a bit of blood. I then noticed a flattened area of grass with LOTS of feathers around it. . I figured something got to her. I then noticed somebody left the pen to the turkeys opened and immediately thought my very "manly" tom got to her. After inspection, it appears her vent was popped out with a slight tear and she couldnt poop. I was able to get the lodged poo out and it popped right back in. I cannot tell if the turkey got her or she is prolapsed. She doesnt feel well. I am wondering how I should treat it. She is currently by herself now, Any help would be greatly appreciated. She is more of a pet than anything. She is 7 months old and has been laying since she was 15 weeks, so a VERY young layer. I woudl normally think prolapse but what would be with all the feathers?

2. BetterHensandGardens

BetterHensandGardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Clinton, OH
  3. skylarms

skylarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Buckley, WA
    thanks. I am not sure what happened. I am about 99% sure the turkey got her. SOMETHING got her. Maybe the prolapse has nothing to do with the turkey, but either way there is a pile of her feathers in my yard. I kn ow they are hers because she is the only ones with feathers those colors. Unless something like a cat got into the yard over fence, but I would bet on the turkey. She currently is in the garage in a cage and eating well. She is pooping now. I just hope she doesnt have any tears or anything that could cause her to go septic or something. She is freakishly tame luckily, so she is handling everything well.

4. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    About the only other thing you can do right now would be warmth / poly-vi-sol W/O iron for water / vitamins / high energy foods and maybe some neosporin on her bum. Because you don't know if it was a prolapse or "attack" [tongue in cheek] see how she is in the AM. Then you can go from there....

My prayers go out to you for a speedy recovery for you sweetie.

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by