HELP! injured Roo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Momagain1, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    on the side of his neck...

last wk another roo and he went at it..both drew a bit of blood...nothing major we thought...

today my son noticed he has a swollen area on the side of his neck by his waddle...

I touched the area and it has a hard knot inside it...
    I took peroxide and it all fuzzed up...

what do we do? let it go its course? if we need antibiotics what do we give??

we've never had a sick chicken before..heck this is our first round of chickens..help!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I would treat that with some topical antibiotic ointment, like neosporin and put blue kote on it.

3. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Pour some hydrogen peroxide over it and wrap the wound up overnight.

4. Momagain1

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    hubby says its about 1/2 inch deep...

5. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] Oh no the poor little guy. I pray he gets better soon. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Momagain1

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    lol..I dont wish him dead..but he *IS* the roo that keeps flogging the girls...

7. Uniontown Poultry

Uniontown Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Lovely naked neck. Looks like someone got his earlobe pretty good. For an open wound like that, that can't be sewn up w/ a needle & thread, I'd recommend powdered sulfur or blood stop powder. The blood stop makes a black solid seal over the wound while it heals, keeping out dirt and covering the wound completely (it looks like it was sealed up with tar). Sulfur has the benefit of helping open wounds to dry up and heal. It's an antibiotic, and if they eat it, it doesn't hurt them, it might actually help. If you go the way of blood stop powder, make sure the wound is clean before you apply, as it seems to make its hard seal in an hour or two. If you do sulfur, you should gently pull the cleaned wound open a little so you can sprinkle the sulfur into it. You can't really over-apply either of these meds, as the sulfur is a fine powder that is supposed to sit on the wound, and the blood stop will go one and eventually seal the wound shut. Reapply the sulfur 3 - 4 time the first day, working down to just 2x/day. When the would makes a big scab then it's healing well and you don't need more sulfur.

Roos especially get nasty injuries pretty often, but they pull through nearly every time. They're pretty tough. I wish you luck with yours, as he's quite a pretty boy. [​IMG]

8. Momagain1

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    powdered sulfur? where do you get it??

9. tennesseeckn

tennesseeckn Real or not real?

Jul 11, 2010
    Knoxville Area
    Poor fella. I've had injuries that bad and my guys recovered just fine. I kept their wounds covered with Blu Kote (Antiseptic and anti-pick) and gave them some antibiotic as an added protection. Your local co op or Tractor Supply should have both meds. Just make sure he's eating and drinking well. Thank goodness chickens are so resilient because they do tend to attract trouble.

10. Uniontown Poultry

Uniontown Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I got mine at an old-style pharmacy, of all places. My sister got hers at a place that sells horse supplies. The containers were huge, like a quart jar. I'd need to treat a flock that had been attacked by legions of raccoons to use it all up!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by